Motorcycle insurance doubles when I mention the TA!

#1
Anyone any idea why this is the case?

My motorbike insurance goes from £260 to £550 when I mention being in the TA?

Why? It's not like I am going to ride it in Iraq or Afganistan.

msr
 
#2
Same for Jap cars, 15% or more on the premium. I read an interview with an insurere some time ago, basicaly the reason is, "they can".
 
#5
I found the same thing, just out of interest i added TA as my part time occupation and the premium went up, not by as much as yours, oh and three companies refused to quote me. This was via confused.com.
I eventually forgot to tell them about it and managed to get my Ducati insured fully comp with protected no claims for £89!
I can't imagine it will be an issue as I'll never turn up to duty on it.
 
#6
Baldrick junior works in the insurance industry and I'm afraid to say the hike on bike insurance for members of the TA is a result of several very large claims made in the last two years. According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.
 
#7
msr said:
Anyone any idea why this is the case?

My motorbike insurance goes from £260 to £550 when I mention being in the TA?

Why? It's not like I am going to ride it in Iraq or Afganistan.

msr
Maybe they assume that you'll be more tired, and consequently more likely to have an accident if you have a second job.

Of course, they've never met you. :p

PB
 
#8
Baldrick66 said:
According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.
So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr
 
#9
msr said:
So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr
Pass............ I'll ask the boy when I see him for a proper answer, but IMHO it'll just be an excuse to get more money out of you.
 
#10
Baldrick66 said:
Baldrick junior works in the insurance industry and I'm afraid to say the hike on bike insurance for members of the TA is a result of several very large claims made in the last two years. According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.

How on earth are insurance companies stupid enough to pay out large sums on 'loss of TA earnings'.

Sounds like an absolute load of cobblers to me. Unless the Duke of Westminster has made a couple of claims, most of hte TA would have had to have made a claim for large sums.

It just doesn't seem to add up.
 
#11
So if I left the TA tomorrow, would I suddenly stop being a risk taker.

It's a pi55 take, like the rest of the insurance industry:

Applying for motorbike insurance

Scabby insurance company: "How long is your no claims bonus"
Me "5 years on the car"
SIC: "That doesn't count"
Me" None then" (just passed the bike test)
SIC "Have you any points on your car license?"
Me: "That doesn't count"
SIC: sense of humour failure

msr
 
#12
#13
When I was hunting for car insurance several of the companies didn't even know what the TA was, resulting in me being asked "Is that in the financial services?" etc.

Me: "It's the Territorial Army. You know? Army Reserves sort of thing?"
Company: "Oh. So you're in the army? I thought you said you worked at XXXX."
Me: *head desk*

These were in British call centres as well. What about that Forces Financial company, msr? I thought they were meant to to cheap car insurance for serving personel. Might've got the wrong company name there, so apologies. Though I seem to remember when I tried them for car insurance the premium was quite high, which is a bit crap. Might be different in your case with age/no claims/bike.
 
#14
msr said:
Baldrick66 said:
According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.
So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr
They're not, perchance, upgrading your request to Class 1 Business, which is what you would require if you were to attend training (even just a Drill Night) on it?

See what happens if you ask for Class 1, rather than SD&P. I'd imagine that the premium would sky rocket, given that you'd now be putting yourself in the same category as couriers.
 
#15
Baldrick66 said:
msr said:
So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr
Pass............ I'll ask the boy when I see him for a proper answer, but IMHO it'll just be an excuse to get more money out of you.
While your at it, ask why Pilots pay a premium also.

It all comes back to, "Cuz we can".
 
#16
PIMH,

There is no point me commuting to the TAC on it - it would take me longer to get my motorbike kit on and get it out of the garage than it would to actually drive there...

msr
 
#17
Jelly_Fish said:
Baldrick66 said:
Baldrick junior works in the insurance industry and I'm afraid to say the hike on bike insurance for members of the TA is a result of several very large claims made in the last two years. According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.

How on earth are insurance companies stupid enough to pay out large sums on 'loss of TA earnings'.

Sounds like an absolute load of cobblers to me. Unless the Duke of Westminster has made a couple of claims, most of hte TA would have had to have made a claim for large sums.

It just doesn't seem to add up.
It's quite simple Jelly, Junior sited a case of a TA Sgt involved in a collision on his way to his unit and was badly injured. Med discharge from the TA claim against the other drivers insurance (Junior's company) included loss of future earnings from the TA total payout was in excess of £300k from his company.
Work it out 28 year old Infantry Sgt could be in until he's 45. Daily rate of pay times his average number of days from previous years etc and you could reach a figure of £100k without trying. Add that to loss of civi earnings, pain and suffering etc and quite a hefty sum gets paid out.
If you add pillions etc into the equation and you can start hitting some very high numbers for a payout. Soldiers have always had bike insurance loaded against them, it's just that insurance companies have started to include the TA as well............One Army? :x
 
#18
Just for research purposes i just ran my details through confused.com, one quote without TA and a second with but all other details are the same (SDP inc commuting, protected 5 year no claims, no points etc), the with TA quotes were only about £30 more than the others.
 
#20
putteesinmyhands said:
msr said:
Baldrick66 said:
According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.
So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr
They're not, perchance, upgrading your request to Class 1 Business, which is what you would require if you were to attend training (even just a Drill Night) on it?

See what happens if you ask for Class 1, rather than SD&P. I'd imagine that the premium would sky rocket, given that you'd now be putting yourself in the same category as couriers.
Mongoose or Paywog will correct me on this. But, you only need business insurance if you are making a MMA claim through JPA. HDT is covered by normal Social, Domestic and Pleasure.

Also if you find you are paying over the odds for adding business insurance. Try Direct Line they give it to me for no extra cost.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top