Motorcycle insurance doubles when I mention the TA!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Anyone any idea why this is the case?

My motorbike insurance goes from £260 to £550 when I mention being in the TA?

Why? It's not like I am going to ride it in Iraq or Afganistan.

msr

2. Same for Jap cars, 15% or more on the premium. I read an interview with an insurere some time ago, basicaly the reason is, "they can".

3. Do you know how many squaddies cream in on bikes each year?

4. They will have a list of jobs which class you as a 'risk taker' and therefore not a safe bet for insurance.

thats my guess anyway.

Ski.

5. I found the same thing, just out of interest i added TA as my part time occupation and the premium went up, not by as much as yours, oh and three companies refused to quote me. This was via confused.com.
    I eventually forgot to tell them about it and managed to get my Ducati insured fully comp with protected no claims for £89!
    I can't imagine it will be an issue as I'll never turn up to duty on it.

6. Baldrick junior works in the insurance industry and I'm afraid to say the hike on bike insurance for members of the TA is a result of several very large claims made in the last two years. According to Junior several million has been paid out as a result of accidents on home to duty travel, with some VERY large claims on loss of TA earnings.

7. Maybe they assume that you'll be more tired, and consequently more likely to have an accident if you have a second job.

Of course, they've never met you. :p

PB

8. msr

msr LE

So why does this matter when I specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure only?

msr

9. Pass............ I'll ask the boy when I see him for a proper answer, but IMHO it'll just be an excuse to get more money out of you.

10. How on earth are insurance companies stupid enough to pay out large sums on 'loss of TA earnings'.

Sounds like an absolute load of cobblers to me. Unless the Duke of Westminster has made a couple of claims, most of hte TA would have had to have made a claim for large sums.

It just doesn't seem to add up.

11. msr

msr LE

So if I left the TA tomorrow, would I suddenly stop being a risk taker.

It's a pi55 take, like the rest of the insurance industry:

Applying for motorbike insurance

Scabby insurance company: "How long is your no claims bonus"
    Me "5 years on the car"
    SIC: "That doesn't count"
    Me" None then" (just passed the bike test)
    SIC "Have you any points on your car license?"
    Me: "That doesn't count"
    SIC: sense of humour failure

msr

12. msr

msr LE

13. When I was hunting for car insurance several of the companies didn't even know what the TA was, resulting in me being asked "Is that in the financial services?" etc.

Me: "It's the Territorial Army. You know? Army Reserves sort of thing?"
    Company: "Oh. So you're in the army? I thought you said you worked at XXXX."
    Me: *head desk*

These were in British call centres as well. What about that Forces Financial company, msr? I thought they were meant to to cheap car insurance for serving personel. Might've got the wrong company name there, so apologies. Though I seem to remember when I tried them for car insurance the premium was quite high, which is a bit crap. Might be different in your case with age/no claims/bike.

14. They're not, perchance, upgrading your request to Class 1 Business, which is what you would require if you were to attend training (even just a Drill Night) on it?

See what happens if you ask for Class 1, rather than SD&P. I'd imagine that the premium would sky rocket, given that you'd now be putting yourself in the same category as couriers.

15. While your at it, ask why Pilots pay a premium also.

It all comes back to, "Cuz we can".