Motorcycle combinations - Modern weapon carrier or outdated?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Using a Ural motorbike is an act of desperation, not an act of war.

2. A bit too much Dads Army I think,however good for duty driver to run the drunk pads back after a good session in the Naafi
  3. Hello EX_STAB,

military motorcycling is a subject close to my heart but I still can't see any use for sidecars.
    There are too many quadcycles and off road cars that can do the same job better.
    Two wheelers can at least go places the four wheelers can't,a combination has no saving graces.
    In the Second World War German sidecars cost a lot more than a kubelwagon I believe.
    I have always wondered how well their sidecar units performed.

4. Hey, if it gets up to 80mph, I bet the MoD'll buy it. They did MWMIK.
  5. Squaddies will try to re-enact the scenes from 'The Great Escape' if we ever got them.

Seems like Ural has a solution to a question no one asked.

As tango suggests, quads or similar low footprint vehicles are far more cabable than a sidecar jobby. In fact, a Goggomobile painted yellow with pink spots would be more effective.
  6. i picked up 10 of these a couple of months ago, the bloke said that the army had a couple to trial. he said they were really interested in the fact it was diesel and could tow a trailer with about 1/4 ton on it.

7. Hello,

these should be useful for infantry support in close terrain,jungle,built up areas etc. it could haul a lot of ammunition in places only man or mule could go:

They have been in use for decades and a few years ago there was a dedicated military variant in development.
    It is a long time since I read about that but I think it was being developed by the Jordanians and had a diesel engine.
    I will see if I can find any information on the military version.

8. Motor bike in MODERN combat

OK the Aussies did it with ther 6 wheel rovers, stick a dirt bike on the back V. good for reccys in "wide open "spaces. Shhhhsh -they copied them and it worked in Iraq (first time).

Ask the Rhodies and then the Souf Africans. Both tried and tested in the 70ies and 80ies- result.

Well in close bush your fukked. The terrs hear you a mileaway and set up an ambush. Horses wer better hence the Greys Scouts and the S.A. on horses in SWA.

Still thats the bush .

Must be OK in W. Europe and the rest of the world?
  9. Hello old_bloke,

good points,I was thinking of following behind infantry in a support role,like a pack animal,it can tow a tonne and a half of ammunition or carry half a tonne (though I would not like to try keeping that sort of weight upright!).
    There are not many other practical ways of hauling those sorts of weights in very tight terrain.

I would thoroughly agree that it would be a liability in a lot of combat situations.
    On the other hand there are some circumstances where it would be usable in the scout role.
    I often walk in wooded area where off road bikes are sometimes used,even though they have very loud competition exhausts I can only tell exactly where they are when they are very close,it would be much harder if they had quiet pipes.
    Still,a motorcycle is very vulnerable and unable to return fire quickly,I would not want to use one where I was likely to bump in to anyone unfriendly in tight terrain.

For pack animals you want mules.
    When you can't use them anymore you can eat them.
    Orde Wingate liked his fresh,slaughtered his own.
    I have a signed copy of "Shave Tails and Bell Sharps" somewhere,very good book on military mules.
    I also understand that at least one British Logistics Brigade still maintains a mule capability?

Edited to add it was 102 Logistics Brigade I was thinking of and their site references "pack horses" not mules,see here:
  10. The ROKON two wheel drive bike is a pretty amazing piece of kit. I had a look at one last week at DSEI, and all right, it looks like my son knocked it up out of lego and meccano, but as an ATV it certainly seems to be the mutt's nuts. the promo vid shows the bloody thing pottering up 45% slopes, over rocks and logs and generally going where it shouldn't. It's powered by a 6.6HP 172cc Kohler engine, with a three gear pre select box, giving you a max speed of 40MPH. and it can pull a quad or a trailer up steep inclines too. Bloody brilliant. And you can carry 800km worth of petrol in the wheels!

No, they didn't offer me a job.
  11. The USSF used horses in Afghanistan in 2001. They even participated in NA cavalry charges against Taliban armour. That must have been an interesting day at the office.