Motorbike Recommendations Please

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Commuted for years on a Honda CBR 600. Superb all round bike..and then they made them too sporty.

My choice would be a VFR. I had one of the original 750's and that was ultra smooth and easy to ride. The newer 800 version is renowned as an amazing touring/sports/everyday bike.

I have had Kawasakis and Suzukis, but they looked shite after a winters riding, with rust and corrosion appearing, and paint dulling down.

The Hondas never had that issue. My current CBR is 17 years old but looks stunning still.

Better half commuted on a CB 500 for three years, managed to bin it, bend the frame and still sold it for the same price she bought it for. Hondas just keep going!

Going back a few years now and a chap at work had VFR750.
I asked what the VFR stood for. "Very Fecking Rapid" was the reply. A lovely looking bike in red.

Commuted for years on a Honda CBR 600. Superb all round bike..and then they made them too sporty.

My choice would be a VFR. I had one of the original 750's and that was ultra smooth and easy to ride. The newer 800 version is renowned as an amazing touring/sports/everyday bike.

I have had Kawasakis and Suzukis, but they looked shite after a winters riding, with rust and corrosion appearing, and paint dulling down.

The Hondas never had that issue. My current CBR is 17 years old but looks stunning still.

Better half commuted on a CB 500 for three years, managed to bin it, bend the frame and still sold it for the same price she bought it for. Hondas just keep going!

VFR800 is solid & pretty fun - but slightly bigger than the OP wanted, and plenty of plastic.

Took a bit of used to with the VTEC 'bump' coming on at 6k? revs, but I enjoyed it - though got rid in the end as it was slightly too big for me, and I was posted to Germany.

Last edited:
SV650 does everything you'll ever need.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, comfy(ish), great handling, fast, bulletproof engine etc. etc.

It's a sports bike when you want it to be and can just about keep up with the big boys on crotch rockets, but it can also do long distance stuff and with some panniers and upright bars it's not a bad tourer.

Crucially it's also very forgiving which is exactly what you want when you're just starting out.

You can pick up a good one for under 2 grand. 5 grand should get you something in as new condition with very low miles.

Whatever your first bike is, you'll probably crash it, drop it or get bored of it fairly quickly, so something cheap and cheerful like an SV is a good bet.
As I was driving home last night, I was thinking about this thread and the SV650 was the only bike that I would recommend. It does everything very well and if you want it to, it can be a blast on the track. When I used to race in SoT races on my TL1000r it was always a tad embarrassing to be beaten by some bloke on a SV650 (even if they were just more talented than I was).

One of the guys that I used to race endurance with has just bought an SV650 for cheap racing (no such thing) and he loves it even though he is 6ft 2".

Great commuter, great tourer with the right panniers and a great back road scratcher that won't let you down on a track day.

Suzuki SV650 Review - Pros, Cons, Specs & Ratings

I think that I may have just caught the Ghey. I now have a serious hankering for a GS1200. I have come to realise that I no longer have to be the fastest thing on the road, and travelling at warpspeed is no longer something I yearn for.

I still want to get a ratty old TL1000R that I can mod up. But in the mean time I want a GS so I can tour Europe, go visit the savage wilderness off Britain like Wales and Scotland.

The only thing that I am really worried about is that I will end up walking around with one of those stupid flip up helmets and catch my reflection in a shop window. The image will haunt me to my death bed, what a tosser.

Real men ride the TL1000S.
I got my first trophy on a TLR so it has a special place in my heart. Also no TLS riders still exist as they were all killed by the shit TLS handling :)......not that the standard TLR handling is much better which is why I will be visiting the HyperPro website soon after I get one.

I ride a 900 Triumph (Trophy3), which I've had from new. Like me, it's getting on a bit now, and has a tendency to dribble a bit, so I spoke to my bike doctor about what to get next. I had a hankering for a big BMW touring thingy, but I also mentioned ZZR1400 to him.

His opinion is that the ZZR1400 is probably about the best bike around at the mo, and it's much cheaper to run, service/repair that BMs.

I'll still keep my Triumph, but might go for the ZZR1400 as well if I can afford it.

So, in answer to the question, take a look at ZZR1400

I think that I may have just caught the Ghey. I now have a serious hankering for a GS1200. I have come to realise that I no longer have to be the fastest thing on the road, and travelling at warpspeed is no longer something I yearn for.

I still want to get a ratty old TL1000R that I can mod up. But in the mean time I want a GS so I can tour Europe, go visit the savage wilderness off Britain like Wales and Scotland.

The only thing that I am really worried about is that I will end up walking around with one of those stupid flip up helmets and catch my reflection in a shop window. The image will haunt me to my death bed, what a tosser.
I used to have an R1200S (and before that an R1100S), and also went through the phase of having a hankering for an R1200GS. So serious was my intent that I went to the dealer in Dundee and took one out for a test ride. After pogoing around the Sidlaws for half a day, I took it back to the dealer, rode home on my S and never thought about it again.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Falling in love again
Never wanted to
What am I to do?
Can't help it
Love's always been my game
Play it how I may
I was made that way
Can't help it
What am I to do?
Can't help it
Fallin' in love again
Never wanted to
What am I to do?
Can't help it
Love's always been my game
Play it how I may
I was made that way
Can't help it

I popped down to my local BMW Motorrad dealer to have a look at the current GS's.

By feck they are big, absolutely huge bits of kit. However sitting on one it didn't feel too tall and weight wise it seemed ok, certainly not as bad as a classic that is half as big.
Filtering on one might be a bit interesting though.

Have you tried a Harley? That's the two wheeled version of Valium.
A friend brought her Harley over a few years ago for a minor repair. It was the first and only time I've worked on one and I think that agricultural is the best way to describe them. I've called them two-wheeled tractors ever since.

I used to have an R1200S (and before that an R1100S), and also went through the phase of having a hankering for an R1200GS. So serious was my intent that I went to the dealer in Dundee and took one out for a test ride. After pogoing around the Sidlaws for half a day, I took it back to the dealer, rode home on my S and never thought about it again.
And yet over a quarter of a million of them have been sold.

Not that I want to hold hands with you but, I am looking at getting one in the near future. Two routes I want to do:

1. Continental divide ......... from Mexico to Canada on mainly tracks and unpaved routes

2. The Baja ride ...... Californian border down to Cabo in Baja, Mexico.........following lots of the Baja desert race route.

And yet over a quarter of a million of them have been sold.
Yeah, I know they are very popular, and I'm perfectly happy to believe that it's me that is the odd one, but try as I might I just couldn't get along with it.

Not that I want to hold hands with you but, I am looking at getting one in the near future. Two routes I want to do:

1. Continental divide ......... from Mexico to Canada on mainly tracks and unpaved routes

2. The Baja ride ...... Californian border down to Cabo in Baja, Mexico.........following lots of the Baja desert race route.

Awesome. Ever thought about a KTM Adventure?

Awesome. Ever thought about a KTM Adventure?
Never even looked at one to be honest.

You tried one?

Just to add: I am not considering the 1200 GS Adventure, just the GS, the Adventure is to wide in the tank for my liking.......looks like one of Hannibals elephants crossing the Alp's.

Never even looked at one to be honest.

You tried one?
My neighbour has one, amongst about 9 bikes (actually it might be a Super Adventure). He has also had an R12GS, although that's gone now, and he reckons the KTM shades it.
I haven't tried one, though, so it's kind of 3rd hand. I have tried a Super Duke, and it was pretty nice. In a hard core kind of way.

My neighbour has one, amongst about 9 bikes (actually it might be a Super Adventure). He has also had an R12GS, although that's gone now, and he reckons the KTM shades it.
I haven't tried one, though, so it's kind of 3rd hand. I have tried a Super Duke, and it was pretty nice. In a hard core kind of way.
Ta, there is a KTM in Arlington so I will pop along and have a look.

Honda Fire Blade
1556036128167.png

Only as it's the bike I have only heard of......get one of these much safer!!
1556036192714.png

And when it is cold and heavy rain just put on the heated seats & set the wipers quicker