Motorbike License

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Jungelism, May 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. So....I'm 24 and misspent my teens riding crossers and have already done a CBT and Theory but never got round to doing the practical test before they expired. Now I want back in the saddle but the rules have changed and I have no idea what the Mod 1 & 2 things are. I've emailed and tried ringing a few places but tuesdays must be a bad day (particularly as its raining).

    What do I have to do to get my Direct Access license and get myself a Ducati 848?

  2. FrosteeMARIA

    FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

  3. Are you after a Britsh Licence, or an American License.
  4. FrosteeMARIA

    FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

    You will have to retake the CBT if you didn't do the theory and practical before the two year expiry date - there - that better?
  5. Yup, thanks. What are these Modules that I need to do and are they only for under-24 license applicants?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FrosteeMARIA

    FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

    If you are aged 24 or over you can take the direct access route - CBT, theory, practical all within 2 years for cat A licence.

    Although I would seriously reconsider your choice of Ducati 848 - nice bike, but you'll probably be dead before your next birthday - Suzuki Bandit or something like that might be a safer option!
  7. I entered "direct access motorbike test" into Google and it gave the answer straight away. Now you are either a lazy idle bastard or brain dead to the point where you are incapable of doing anything for yourself, in which case I'd suggest some training wheels for your bike.
  8. At 16 you can obtain a provisional licence and on passing your CBT can ride a 50cc moped on 'L' plates.

    At 17 or above, a CBT will normally allow the rider up to 125cc with 'L' plates.

    To take a practical test you must pass a motorcycle theory test and hold a valid CBT certificate.

    If you are 17 or older you can take a (15bhp) module one and two tests on a 125cc bike and on passing have a full bike licence, but restricted to a 125cc only.

    If you are 19 or older you can take a (46bhp) module one and two tests on a 500cc bike and on passing have a full bike licence, but restricted in power to 46bhp approximately 500cc.

    24 years and over have the option of Direct Access (DAS), the tests can in this case is taken on a large bike (600cc +) and on passing the licence has no power restrictions.

    If you have held a lower licence for two years then there are options to take the next test up before the age limits above.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ok, so the practical test has become a two parter, they didn't half make the new regulations complicated compared to before.

    I wanted a 748 but may be able to stretch to an 848 moneywise, and while the power is pretty punchy I've been riding on and off since I was ten.
  10. FrosteeMARIA

    FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

    I think it's a change for the better though - No idea what the two part prac is like, but the CBT and theory won't have changed much. Check the insurance costs though, might be a hefty wedge if you go above the 500/600cc.
    If you do go for the 848 though.....GIZ A GO? :)
  11. That may be the kicker, but then I've just downsized my car for economy so may be able to fund the bike. Will get the license passed first then worry about the ride. May be available to loan next summer if I'm off for a taxpayer funded holiday.
    • Like Like x 1