Motor Conviction/Disqualification

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by KimG12, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this.

Last year I was disqualified from driving for 18 months and given points for driving without due care and attention (long story). Obviously, on the application form it asks for any unspent convictions, such as motoring convictions.

Do I need to declare this and how will affect my application?

Cheers

Kim

2. You will need to disclose it if you are still banned. No point trying to hide it just be honest with them, they'll find out anyway.

3. Declare it, but it shouldn't amke any difference. We've all got motoring convictions at some stage in our lives, esp with the dawn of speed cameras. The bottom line is honesty is the way forward.
    F

4. Declare it because even after the period of disqualification is over, it's not a spent conviction.

Spent convictions are those that cannot be used as 'previous convictions' for sentencing purposes.

For example, points remain on your licence for four years. For three they are current convictions, the fourth year they are spent but remain. Once the four years are up, they are no longer spent and cannot be used in any future sentencing (even if you don't apply for them to be removed).

Periods of disqualification are not so easy to define because it depends on why they were awarded.

In short unless you are aware of the details of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, don't take a punt on whether a conviction is spent or not.

5. oh the irony.

6. Lets here the full story ...