Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by ishinryu, Mar 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking into getting a new bike soon and have had my eye caught by the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX. I have heard that it is a rival to the the BMW R1200GS Adventure. The Moto Guzzi is slightly less (if you have all the bells and whistles on the BMW), but is it worth paying more for a more exclusive bike? The only problem is I can speak to a lot bikers and they either have had a ride on a GS or they have owned one, but no-one I know of has even heard of the Stelvio, let alone ridden one. My questions are has anyone ridden one? If so, is it any good?

Ish.

Attached Files:

2. Not ridden that 1 but any other Guzzi has a torque reaction from the shaft drive that beggars belief.

Try before you buy it aint for everybody

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

...used too.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well it won't be as refined as a GS, but maybe more fun.

I would check out the new Ducati 1200 equivalent if you want something different - it is causing a bit of a stir at the moment and has the 1198LC testastretta engine..... :boogie:

5. That the Ducati in MCN a coule of weeks ago? Switchable between 105 and 150bhp? Seemed like an interesting bike!
    Personally I think the GS1200 is vastly over-rated and just not that good a bike.
    In contrast, the last Guzzi I looked at was a very nicely engineered bike.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I never trust MCN, but in this case that sounds right. Amazing as it may seem, Ducati now have the most advanced electronics in both racing and production bikes 8O

Guzzi's do have character, but a GS will commute reliably (even if boring) for a 100k - I would not bet on an Italian bike doing that for the same repair/running cost.......

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

8. Thats the one. Not seen one in the flesh but the specs are interesting.
    To be entirely honest, I've been on a GS1200 and it was the most dis-appointing bike I've ever been on. Lazy performance, poor handling, average build quality and butt ugly. They are a lot of money for a bike who'se only virtues are comfort and being fashionable. I found the old Triumph Tiger nicer to ride than the GS and the 955 Tiger is outdated by a long margin.

9. Ducatis are nice providing you are on first name terms with your Ducati garage.

They still have issues despite what they may say.Belt tensioner pulleys going oval at around 4- 5k miles (they are nylon for some bizarre reason).
    If my wallet was bottomless I would have an 1198 still :D .

Back to the Guzzi they are nicely made but the engine layout makes for interesting wobbles when giving it the berries.Plus like all Italian bikes are overpriced compared to the Japanese stuff

10. My bold. Exclusive? A BMW GS? You are taking the wee-wee! The Guzzi is far more exclusive and cheaper so if its rarity value you want, buy the guzzi. You will rarely, if ever, find another one in a crowd unless you are at a guzzi convention.

Personally, I do not own a Guzzi but would like to. They are quirky but I have test driven a few and liked them all. Torque reaction is easy to get used to and no real issue (besides BMW boxers have it too) and the biggest real issue to get used to is the linked brakes (dont know if this model has them as some do and some dont) that work well but can be confusing the first time you apply them if you havnt figured them out before hand.

11. My advice, get guzzi, when you decide you hate it and go for the BM, give me the Guzzi :D

I need to replace my 2000 VTR SP

Wait

No I Don't

12. Aren't you worried that the BMW will smack of Long Way Down Waltism?

13. Saw the Guzzi in the dealer today and its a really nice chunk of bike like most though I haven't ridden one yet. Are you thinking of doing a lot of commuting as both the GS and the Guzzi look more suited for out on A roads then traffic jams?