Mothers of UK backpacker killers beg Thai king for sons' lives

Should the King of Thailand commute the death sentance to life in prison?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • F**k em

Votes: 42 54.5%
  • Don't give a toss

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Why were you riding without a helmet?
How much is 500Bt worth?
Just being curious.
About 15 Quid at the moment. The £ was THB 36 the other week.

I got caught riding sans helmet a number of years ago in Patters.

Got out of it by speaking German. They couldn't handle that.

I got stopped for riding without a crash helmet last year. The choice was either to leave the bike by the side of the road, go to the nearest copshop, spend hours doing all the paperwork, pay a 400Bt fine and then go and pick the bike up or give the cop a 500Bt backhander.

This wasn't some furtive arrangement - there were 3 of them at a road junction stopping everyone without a helmet on. They did it every day Monday to Friday. They must have been raking it in.
You can get hit when they check driving licenses. I've had a couple of fines for that in Najomtein, south of Pattaya on Thanon Sukhumvit.

Behind those smiles, Thais are some of the most xenophobic people on earth. There is also little inherent logic in their culture. Burmese (or Khmer) get blamed for everything there, and it's not unlikely that, even if they were subsequently found innocent, little Mak Mak down the bar would be telling his mate "even so, I bet those Burmese bâstards were guilty of something"

17 days doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, mate.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
I've spent most of the last 20 northern winters out there, and more besides, and you are, and always will be an outsider. Farang kee nok, or farang ba mak mak.

The words 'Thai' and 'logic do not belong in the same sentence.

TIT- This is Thailand.

So what is she?
The King has his Queen who I presume is his Queen Consort.
Then he has this 'Consort' who isn't a Queen.
Is this just a title for the King's official tart?

What an odd country this is, I'm glad I never got off the ship when we went there.
She is now a nobody.

Not sure if mentioned on here-if so call me Trig, but 2 army regiments around Bangkok have been places under direct control of the King-and not their Defence Ministry.

There may be trouble ahead...……...

endure

GCM
She is now a nobody.

Not sure if mentioned on here-if so call me Trig, but 2 army regiments around Bangkok have been places under direct control of the King-and not their Defence Ministry.

There may be trouble ahead...……...

As long as it doesn't start till late February mai pen rai ;-)

I believe the book you are referring to was called 'Private Dancer' by Stephen Leather.

He came to Bangkok to get background for a book that he planned to write on the Thai Mafia, and hung out in a bar that was, in effect, my local.

The bar itself was clean, but it was 50m from Nana 'Entertainment' Plaza and, as he sat absorbing the local colour he realised that truth was a better story than anything he could make up.

Just about every story in that book was real*. Only (most of) the names were changed**.

* No I'm not featured in it. I was working and accompanied. I couldn't have sampled the local 'cuisine and scenery' even if I wanted to. But they did a fantastic steak and kidney pie, and the then owner, Big Dave, was an absolute hoot. He also knew where all the bodies were buried...

** One American guy was furious when he read it, as Leather had forgotten to change his name.

Just up the road on Thanon Sukhumvit from Soi Nana is Soi Cowboy.....

Go to the Asoke BTS station for those wishing to visit. 'Interesting' after dark, so I'm told.

Just up the road on Thanon Sukhumvit from Soi Nana is Soi Cowboy.....

Go to the Asoke BTS station for those wishing to visit. 'Interesting' after dark, so I'm told.
I would take the SkyTrain home about 6pm. Some interesting sights between the station and the Plaza as the night shift clocked on.

How is the Thai psyche wrt faithfulness and fidelity? I read a book once called secret dancer, about an ex pat in Thailand, and the pitfalls that befell him. One of which was women who Already had a husband ‘up country’, and sent them to “work” in the tourist areas to specifically target westerners- with a fake relationship, although ‘happy endings’ were part of the gameplay.
The book might have been 'Private Dancer' by Stephen Leather'. Recommended.

E2A: bugger, beaten to it by @Bob the bomb.

The book might have been 'Private Dancer' by Stephen Leather'. Recommended.

E2A: bugger, beaten to it by @Bob the bomb.
Yep, that was the one

He's written lots of other books, I found myself reading stuff by him that I wouldn't normally consider.
I’ve no idea how I ended up reading it!

From an expat in BKK, apparently the Transport Minister wants all cars fitted with GPS trackers to "improve road safety". LOL.

Of course, this would never be used to keep track on where people are going. Oh no, siree.

It's nice to see there are still some kings in the world prepared to behave like one.

endure

GCM
The Thai King sacks officials as he tightens his grip on the country,

"They were accused of "exploiting their official positions for their own or other people's gain". "

What else are 'official positions' in Thailand for if not to make a few quid?

"They were accused of "exploiting their official positions for their own or other people's gain". "

What else are 'official positions' in Thailand for if not to make a few quid?
The problem in that part of the world is that the tax base is so limited there's no money to pay adequate public servant salaries. You're expected to take bungs to make up the difference.

Latest Threads