Mothers of UK backpacker killers beg Thai king for sons' lives

Should the King of Thailand commute the death sentance to life in prison?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • F**k em

Votes: 42 54.5%
  • Don't give a toss

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
I've just spent 17 days in Thailand. The locals don't seem to think its a son of police chief. Maybe they don't read the same conspiracy sites as you.
Behind those smiles, Thais are some of the most xenophobic people on earth. There is also little inherent logic in their culture. Burmese (or Khmer) get blamed for everything there, and it's not unlikely that, even if they were subsequently found innocent, little Mak Mak down the bar would be telling his mate "even so, I bet those Burmese bâstards were guilty of something"

17 days doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, mate.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

endure

GCM
Why were you riding without a helmet?
How much is 500Bt worth?
Just being curious.

Only jessies wear helmets in Thailand :mrgreen:

500Bt is about £13 at the moment. Bear in mind that the minimum day wage in the town I got caught is 330Bt a day.

I have no doubt something may be dodgy, but none of the Thais I spoke to seem to think it was a police chief son. They did go on at length about who controls the meth sales in Phuket, who overlooks bars being open passed two in the morning for a "donation", which Italian seems to do what the **** he likes with his night club Illuzion in Patong, buildings that seem to be a lot taller than the 3 stories allowed and various examples of corruption.
Indeed it might not have been a police chief's son, but I'll lay odds that it was a Thai person with some connections.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually in that part of the world it's par for the course.

"Who pays, wins"

In this case the general cynicism about Thai justice was enhanced by the speed in which two Burmese migrants were found, just after a senior policeman said words to the effect of "it has to be a foreigner, no Thai person could do this".

I seem to recall a Japanese spokesman saying the same exact thing when Lindsay Hawker was murdered and left in a bathtub on a balcony.

Yes, because the Japanese are such models of decency, or did they forget about WW2?

Behind those smiles, Thais are some of the most xenophobic people on earth. There is also little inherent logic in their culture. Burmese (or Khmer) get blamed for everything there, and it's not unlikely that, even if they were subsequently found innocent, little Mak Mak down the bar would be telling his mate "even so, I bet those Burmese bâstards were guilty of something"

17 days doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, mate.

You seem to think Im defending the little *******, Im not, merely pointing out the police chief son sounds like internet bollocks.

You seem to think Im defending the little *******, Im not, merely pointing out the police chief son sounds like internet bollocks.
The police chief's son story, is, however, more likely than the first pair of migrant workers the Thai police could round up.

The police chief's son story, is, however, more likely than the first pair of migrant workers the Thai police could round up.

In fairness those Burmese bastards were guilty of something.

endure

GCM
Ahh here we go

"Mai pen rai is most commonly used as an equivalent to English phrases like “you're welcome” or “don't mention it”, and it's often heard as a response to “thank you”. But mai pen rai carries deeper meaning than this. When asked to translate it into English, one Thai replied, “It's okay… everything is okay… don't worry”."

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t know what conditions are like in a Thai prison but I bet they are pretty awful and not quite as salubrious as our guest houses.
I’d say living in a prison for the rest of your natural life where I doubt there is room service and air conditioning is simply not available for the guests would be a living hell.
Death would be a welcome release, feck em commute it to life show a bit of mercy, after twenty years they’d wish they were dead but might have at least another thirty wonderful all inclusive years.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

BlackDyke

War Hero
The King is in a bad mood.

So what is she?
The King has his Queen who I presume is his Queen Consort.
Then he has this 'Consort' who isn't a Queen.
Is this just a title for the King's official tart?

What an odd country this is, I'm glad I never got off the ship when we went there.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So what is she?
The King has his Queen who I presume is his Queen Consort.
Then he has this 'Consort' who isn't a Queen.
Is this just a title for the King's official tart?

What an odd country this is, I'm glad I never got off the ship when we went there.
Well I was thinking that but thought Arrse should be informed. She appears in the fit women in uniform thread. I hope she doesn’t end up in the dead pool thread any time soon, it be a bit of a waste now wouldn’t it.

Latest Threads