Mother has more medals than soldier sons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabby, Sep 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC

2. I thought civvies didn't get medals?

3. MOD civil servants do. One of the lads at my rugby club who has served in Bosnia, Kosovo, The Gulf and Afghanistan has a hatful! So next time you wonder who buys locally all the crappy stuff...thank our Tony!

4. Nope. Entitled personnel are awarded campaign medals and MOD Civil Servants are in this category (which was large enough for the MOD to offer them to the embedded journos on TELIC!)

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

BZZZT - wrong. My MoD colleagues who manned the CivSec component in Umm Qasr during Op Telic 1 when I was doing my impersonation of a mobilised TA soldier there got their Telic medals about a year before I did.
    I'm proud of mine. I'm sure they are too.

Further to the Beeb piece here's the MoD version from DefenceNet. Her old man (22 years in - ex WO) gets to stay home now:

The ironic thing is that she'll have done more Op tours than a good number of the Service personnel she works with. Just remember this.... ahem, well-preserved mother of two strapping Servicemen next time you read some stroker whinging on about " feckin' civvies " on ARRSE.

Even if she's never had to 'grab a gat and stag on ' ( which I'm sure she could if required )......Bravo Zulu Jean :D

Le Chevre

6. not denying her right - just never knew. Goatman is right - she might never have picked up a gat but I'm bloody glad I did on Ops! Hated having to put mine in the Iso armoury and hearing rounds go off in the distance!