Motability Car Insurance

A family member has had their motability car stolen and is currently going through the claim process. They have received conflicting advice on several points, e.g. they were offered a courtesy car then told that was not allowed, then granted one on the grounds that they could prove they were oriiginally offered one. Despite the fact that as far as I can see, the official documentation clearly stipulates that the cover includes a courtesy car.

Anyway, the current bone of contention is over the contribution they originally made when entering the scheme. I cannot find this mentioned specifically in any motability documentation and they are getting no sensible advice from their contact. It is supposed to be a comprehensive policy so to my mind the payout to motability will be based on the value of the car today and they will be due a share of that in proportion to the amount they originally contributed over the new value of the car.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

I looked at the scheme for my stepson, but its basically a lease car where the Government pays it for you (PIP payment) so if a lease car was nicked would you expect the finance company to give you your initial payment back?

I think we've got it sorted out now. The insurance is between the insurers and the hirers. As regards any lump sum contribution, there is a sliding scale applied over the term of the scheme, so if you are half way through, you get half your contribution back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gout Man The Book Club 0
S Armed Forces Pension Scheme 15
mark3536 Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 2