MOT Test certificate

The wifes car is coming up for its second MOT test and for some reason she has mislaid the MOT certificate.

Do you actually "need" the certificate these days since everything is computerized ?

MOT online? That'd be interesting.
Not as interesting as MOT by post. Like the herbert we nicked when I was plodding, 200 quid for a certificate and he'd done hundreds.

You wait till they barcode vehicles along with the reg plate, it'll all be eminently readable as you drive past a multitude of locations. A working infrastructure is already in place and all that is needed is to find a reason or excuse for the public to have to put a 2 x 8 inch barcode on the vehicle and thats it. We have the barcode thing in the USA it is used to debit your account when using toll roads so it is existing and working technology. No more scabby tax, insurance or MOT dodgers.

MOT online? That'd be interesting.
It would be interesting to see how technologically far off we are, after all we plug modern cars in to fault find.

Well that's ok for electrics but perhaps not so good for mechanical things.
"Now put your foot on the brake. Brake lights OK. Printing out your certificate now".

I dropped off my son to pick up his car after MoT. Followed him home and the only brake light showing was the high level one.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not as interesting as MOT by post. Like the herbert we nicked when I was plodding, 200 quid for a certificate and he'd done hundreds.

You wait till they barcode vehicles along with the reg plate, it'll all be eminently readable as you drive past a multitude of locations. A working infrastructure is already in place and all that is needed is to find a reason or excuse for the public to have to put a 2 x 8 inch barcode on the vehicle and thats it. We have the barcode thing in the USA it is used to debit your account when using toll roads so it is existing and working technology. No more scabby tax, insurance or MOT dodgers.
We don' need no steenkeen bar codes. We have IP cameras. People who drive about cheating get nicked. Good. If I pay, you ******* pay.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer

Doesn't ANPR already do that?

You don't need an MOT cert if you are going for a new one. Only needed if you are taxing the car at the post office or selling the car. Insurance companies and plod know if the car has an MOT.

As for "plugging in" to get an MOT, well the test is a lot more than just engine and electrics. I use someone I know not because we are friends but because they are strict . I want to drive safe cars.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You don't need an MOT cert if you are going for a new one. Only needed if you are taxing the car at the post office or selling the car. Insurance companies and plod know if the car has an MOT.

As for "plugging in" to get an MOT, well the test is a lot more than just engine and electrics. I use someone I know not because we are friends but because they are strict . I want to drive safe cars.
You don't get a certificate anymore.

If you have the previous MOT cert and take it in early, the garage can date the MOT to when the old one runs out if it's in the same month. If you don't have it, then they will MOT on the day you take it in. Seems a bit daft when they are all computerised now but that's what happened to me in November.