MOT catch-22

theinventor

War Hero
I've been helping my son resurrect a '99 Audi Quattro 2.8 v6, it'll be fun once sorted and sounds awesome! It's been dormant off the road for at least a year before he bought it.
We've got it roadworthy and it's passed all of an MOT apart from one section of the emissions: lambda reading a bit high.

Advice from the tester is "yes, we see a lot of this at the moment, cars which haven't run much are a bit clogged - stick some cleaner miracle stuff in and drive a bit, it'll be OK then"

The catch 22 bit is that you can't pass an MOT until you've driven it a bit, and you can't drive it until you have an MOT. Ideas?

I've been helping my son resurrect a '99 Audi Quattro 2.8 v6, it'll be fun once sorted and sounds awesome! It's been dormant off the road for at least a year before he bought it.
We've got it roadworthy and it's passed all of an MOT apart from one section of the emissions: lambda reading a bit high.

Advice from the tester is "yes, we see a lot of this at the moment, cars which haven't run much are a bit clogged - stick some cleaner miracle stuff in and drive a bit, it'll be OK then"

The catch 22 bit is that you can't pass an MOT until you've driven it a bit, and you can't drive it until you have an MOT. Ideas?
Know anyone with a rolling road!

4(T)

LE

Don't get caught?

4(T)

LE
Book an MoT re-test 100 miles away.

Drive there lawfully and return home lawfully. Car gets to clean out on long drive.

964ST

War Hero

You can run the engine without the car moving!?

Boot it on the way to the MoT

You can drive to the test centre, Theres no limit on that journey - the restriction is you can make no other stops**

Arguably if its a diesel then you have to run it for an extended period to warm it up

I would suggest taking the long way round or going to a centre further away getting it up to temp (say 15 - 20 miles ) then driving at high revs to blow the shit out.

** My driving from Portsmouth to Bristol was therefore to the letter of the law, it was also undisputibly kicking the arse out of the spirit in which it was intended.

Put some Forte Fuel conditioner in and take turns at sitting around 2k/4k RPM for an hour or so till the zorst gets tinkly hot.
Just so long as you are 100% certain you are getting a fat spark on all pots otherwise...the CATs can throw a permanent hissy fit if it gets partially unburned fuel through it. It just needs a bloody good lead footed Italian Tune Up likely as not.
Fresh oil & filter & plugs will help but I expect you have been there.
This is a regular issue amongst my OC Mx5 "SORNED garage queen" summer use only cars.
Cars need bloody driven..period.

This.

Sit there with the engine running at a few thousand RPM for 15 minutes*. Don't do it in the garage; do it outside.

*or longer. I'm not a mechanic. Google 'Italian tune-up'.

Not a good idea
sensors get more gunked up idling ( wifes clio says dont leave running to defrost extended idling buggers it up - contrast to my old defender which needs a few minutes to settle (ok get oil up to pressure all cylinders firing and to stop sounding like theres a socket set in the cylinders).

I cant imagine revving it with no load is going to be that great especialy as its going to be injesting its own exhaust.

Stick something on the accelerator to make it run at a reasonable rate of knots in neutral and let it run for twenty minutes or so. That might do the trick. It’s common to see mot testers revving cars to see if that will push the needle on the test machine into a pass result. The problem is how do you know if it’s worked until you take it back?

Alternatively, find a garage where they might not be too fussy if a car that passed the emissions was used for that part of the test. I knew a dealer who used a garage like that for years until he died a couple of years back.

No doubt someone will have a more sensible idea.

Last edited:
Alternatively, find a garage where they might not be too fussy if a car that passed the emissions was used for that part of the test. I knew a dealer who used a garage like that for years until he died a couple of years back.
Typical Labour voter - no integrity.

Chef

LE

You say it was a bit high, was this an advisory item or a straight fail? If the former you can still run on the roads and, hopefully, clear it. If the latter then as has been said take it for a good blast on the way to the test centre.

Most emission tests seem to be designed to be done at working temperatures, obviously, if the centre is conveniently close then the engine won't have time to warm up properly.

Going to the MOT the long way around as people suggest along with some clean up juice squirted into the fuel/engine as appropriate.

JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU NEED TO BE BOOKED IN FOR THE MOT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE THERE AND BACK LEGALLY. And legally means you are insured with no arguments too.