Most valued language(s)

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by SuperSlick, Apr 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, hope you're all ok :) Just a quick question, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which language(s) are the most higher sought-after. Obviously I know most of the islamic languages are but which one in particular?

I'm looking to learn either Russian or Arabic but if there's any other language that is highly valued then I'll consider learning that also. If I had to chose Russian or Arabic which would be my best choice?

2. Farsi and Pashto, because we are going to be in Afghan for decades... scratch that, because the Int Corps can't see beyond the tip of it's own nose.

3. If I were you, my old cocker, I'd have a bash at English first. I've highlighted two serious mistakes you've made. I hope you go away and think about what you've done. You're worse than Hitler. Oh, and what are "islamic languages" exactly?

I bet the Army is looking forward to you putting the Intelligence in the Intelligence Corps.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Don't worry ZO, he'll fit right in with that bunch.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Relax old man it's just a forum and typo's are easily made when you're typing fast and no re-reading your posts before submission...

6. ioi duiankdnt know whahjat youee mean.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I could go through and pick out every grammatical error or spelling mistake from other users but to be perfectly honest, I'm not a **** like that. If I was applying for a job on the other hand, have at it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fuckoffspray.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Urdu, I'd say

10. Hebrew. But I can't tell you why.

11. Arabic, Farsi and Pashto are the order of the day. However, that can change at a moment's notice depending on where the (US) government wants to free from tyranny on any particular day! Oh, and yes you will have to be careful when you type in The Corps' forum, as it is full of ***** who can't wait to pick you up for grammar, spelling and syntax and say that you would be better off as a dim-sider; I should know, I'm one of them! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. If it makes you feel any better for all the flack that just came down range, I once heard of a senior police officer who said "Find me a Muslim speaker" during a briefing. Er?

Firstly, I am not a professional linguist. Merely an amateur and cunning one. However, let me make some suggestions.

If you can, and in no particular order;

Arabic (any dialect-best start with Modern Standard Arabic), Farsi, Pashto, Dari, or Urdu. (The squiggly languages, but do not ever suggest that they are "all the same"-like my senior colleague)

Russian

Mandarin Chinese.

Somali (if you can speak this and pass vetting you will be set for life).

Spanish (Latin American, not "Metropolitan", Drugs patrols?)

Somali may seem a bit of a luxury, but consider both the crime, terrorism and government interests in that unfortunate part of the world. It is, however, a fragmented language, riven with dialects.

Look at "clustering" your languages, so Arabic will assist with other languages (like Urdu or Pashto). it does not mean you can just walk into those languages, but does mean you have a slight advantage on the alphabet, for example. Likewise, an basis in Mandarin would make other languages which use Kanji (such as Japanese) a bit more easy. I say "a bit".

Go Arabic. Much cooler than Russian (well, Russian does sound pretty good. to be fair. A language of poetry and soulful literature). Doubtless a Russian linguist will be along in a minute to reverse the advice. But it will cover, to a certain extent, from the Maghreb to UAE, and from Syria to Yemen. Pretty good spread. It is also a UN language. You could also read the Holy Koran, beautiful work even to the non-believer.
    Learn to take good advice. An excellent grasp of English grammar assists to learn foreign langauges, as instructors quite understandably assume you understand how your own language is constructed.

Details are the devil of the Corps' work. (If I have sinned with the misuse of the apostrophe there, I shall curl up and die of shame).

Best of luck.

Just remember languages are not a curse, as the Christians would have it in the story of the Tower of Babel (with it's interesting fish, at least according to Douglas Adams)

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.

Surat Al-Hujarat 49:13

Attached Files:

13. Three of the chaps I knew in the Corps fell into that category. It didn't seem to do their careers any harm.

In any case, the ability to speak bullshit while maintaining a straight face is essential. You'd be surprised how many officers fall for it.

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 2
  14. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Oh Boumer, you disappoint me.... "with it's interesting fish, at least according to Douglas Adams", spot the mistake. Arf, arf.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Decide where the Army is going to be deployed in 5 years' time and start learning that language now. When the fan gets a brown coating, you will be offered instant promotion 2 ranks up and will be able to retire early, sliding into well-paid consultancy work.

Bear in mind the sort of climate, food, wine and women to be found in these linguistic regions and choose wisely, factoring in the risk of being topped.

Удачи!