Most useful qualifications for the 21st century

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by hong_kong_fuey, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking for a change of career. I'm thinking this will involve 3-4 years at university. As I have knowledge of, and experience in, design, I'm thinking about the Masters in Industrial Design at Coventry University. I'm also thinking about combining this with a course in Madarin Chinese.

However, what are your views on what will be the most useful/sought after qualifications for the 21st century? Obviously, because I'm mid 30s now, things like Dentistry, Medicine, etc, are out of the equation. Just don't suggest fcking Media Studies.

Any thoughts?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Fire Engineering. My lad's going into it, and I can't believe the salaries on offer, the emigration assistance, or the amazing range of companies employing them directly or as consultants. Edinburgh, Leeds and UCLAN are the Universities you need, and suddenly, the world is your lobster.

Junior Rafbrat is considering years 1 2 and 4 at Leeds with year 3 in Canada!

The need will not go away, as the world is building more and more big buildings ....

3. Fire engineering. That's something that never would have come to mind. Fire Engineering with Mandarin. Now that could be useful. I'll have a butchers. Cheers Rafbrat. :D

4. Learn Mandarin Chinese!!!!!!!!!!

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

PM Me if you'd like more info. Our house is full of it at the moment, as the Uni applications and offers are being processed!

6. I've taken a look at the Leeds site re: Fire Engineering. It seems that the course is mathematical and scientific in nature. As I have no scientific qualifications, bar GCSEs, this could be difficult. My studies background is graphic design, and philosophy & politics :oops: .

I suppose an Access Course could be done, but it could take 2 years to gain the necessary qualifications to study at undergraduate level, and then there's the MSc. So, all in all, 6 or so years.

Anyone with more time on their side might want to look into Rafbrat's suggestion.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

There's a one year access course at Leeds FE college, which is linked to the Uni and the School of Engineering. Two semesters, successful completion of which guarantees you the academic qualifications to get onto the main course.

(It's his fallback in case the A levels go wrong ....)

Of course, the ex Mr Rafbrat is funding all this, and I do understand that for people funding their own education this is a long time without proper income. The degree requires 20 hours of lectures / tutorials per week, plus 20 hours of self study, so it doesn't leave much time for working at a 'proper job' as well.

Maybe you'd be better off with graphic design and working for online betting companies - another growth market!

8. Ah, ignore my PM to you, mate. Cheers for that. Graphic Design...it's a soft subject really, and it's a fickle area. Most of the time, visual communication is focused on 16-35 year olds. So companies are constantly looking for new and radical exponents of the subject. At my age, I am supposed to move into more administrative areas, such as Art Director. Not interested in that.

9. If you can do design; you've obviously got some technical bent - so try IT & with Mandarin Chinese, well the world becomes your oyster. So go spend some time on learning a programming language and IT Business Analysis skills - the move into China is big!

10. Which programming language would you consider the most useful, Fanbasher? I've some experience working with Perl and C++, but really not much. I suppose that my experience in visual communication, combined with a programming language, could open up opportunities in development.

Yes, I guess the move into China is a daunting one, but not that that should put you off. Does anyone have any useful info about moving into the world of industry in China?

Cheers, Fanbasher.

11. Environmental engineering - wind farms, solar power, etc. Open University are running courses I think.

12. Solar power, now that's an interesting one. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Septics have developed a solar panel, or the material for that panel, that is 80% efficient. If so, then our dependency on oil will rapidly diminish if this technology can be put into production. Are you listening Saudi Arabia? It can't happen soon enough for me. The West is going to have to pull its finger out of its arrse with the development of alternative forms of energy -- it's being forced to, by Peak Oil and rising prices.

So yes, CoJ, Environmental Engineering will be a growth sector in the C21. Cheers.

13. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

If you have an engineering interest, you could look at Public Health Engineering. There is huge demand and very little supply so the potential rewards are immense.

Public Health engineering is basically dealing with water and drainage. It's the design end of plumbing and therefore needed for every new building or major refurbishment.

The Univerity of Greenwich is looking to start a course for it in September, otherwise a normal Civil Engineers course will do. It can also act as a way in to Fire Engineering later on in your career.

Edit to add: Most PH engineers are ex plumbers and as such don't have degrees, it's just that demand for them has become so great that Greenwich is starting it's course. What I'm getting at is that if you can get any qualification in plumbing design, then that will open doors for you. If you want further info feel free to PM me.

14. Also dont discount the OU. It will at least allow you to study whilst working but you can forget having a life! The other option is to see whether you could find an employer willing to take you on and sponsor you through Uni as you have some experience. Im late 30's and had a change in career a year ago.

15. Think Nuclear!