Most useful cooking accessory ?

I've just been reading the 'Need a new knife' thread and it's framed a question for me....

Mush_Lad is back to Uni in the autumn and as he's moved out of halls and will be moving into a shared house, he'll be doing some cooking for himself and his mates, and maybe some totty.

So being the generous git that I am, I'll be taking him down to Dunelm or similar to equip him with a basic set of cooking and eating irons. I've taught him to cook since he was a nipper so he's reasonably adept in the kitchen.

So in addition to the basic set of kit, what's the most useful piece of kit that's improved your cooking and might improve his?

My list starts with;

1. Decent digital probe thermometer - no more overdone steaks and underdone chicken, can even use it to measure the temperature of oil
2. Small frying pan with a metal handle - sear on the hob, cook in the oven (see how many times he burns his palms taking it out without a cloth!)
3. Decent steel for his knives.

Suggestions please (but no heavy duty - I.e. expensive stuff like juicers, blenders etc)

Set of Kitchen scissors.

From tough enough for a chicken to sharp enough for herbs etc.

The wife!

Edited to add:

Should ignore that suggestion........you said nothing expensive.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've just been reading the 'Need a new knife' thread and it's framed a question for me....

Mush_Lad is back to Uni in the autumn and as he's moved out of halls and will be moving into a shared house, he'll be doing some cooking for himself and his mates, and maybe some totty.

So being the generous git that I am, I'll be taking him down to Dunelm or similar to equip him with a basic set of cooking and eating irons. I've taught him to cook since he was a nipper so he's reasonably adept in the kitchen.

So in addition to the basic set of kit, what's the most useful piece of kit that's improved your cooking and might improve his?

My list starts with;

1. Decent digital probe thermometer - no more overdone steaks and underdone chicken, can even use it to measure the temperature of oil
2. Small frying pan with a metal handle - sear on the hob, cook in the oven (see how many times he burns his palms taking it out without a cloth!)
3. Decent steel for his knives.

Suggestions please (but no heavy duty - I.e. expensive stuff like juicers, blenders etc)

Probe? What's up with a watch like everyone else?

Pan is a good idea - tell you what though, I reckon you need to be thinking about convenience. I assume university = shit kitchen. Need to be able to pack up and stash your kit easily.

So, Microwave steamer is a handy thing.

jonnopne21

Old-Salt
well if he's a proper student just a cheap kettle from asda £4.00
so then he can add instant hot water to his pot noodles...and maybe a little sauce pan to catch the rain in from his student digs

Last edited:
Tin opener. The simpler the better. Which excludes the one out of a compo box.

Plus a shit-load of Dominos vouchers, and a good fire extinguisher.

Last edited:
Slow cooker and recipe book.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I don't think he'll risk a slow cooker since he got shitfaced at a mates house last year and pissed in one!

(Copying Jarrod) a slow cooker
potato ricer
decent steamer set
garlic press -. a cast one not that stamped steel shit
Decent peeler - one with a moving blade, not a fixed one. like this
Lefse-Potato-Peeler.jpg

hank

War Hero
Good knives as an absolute essential. No need to spend Wursthof/Henckels/Global money, Wenger Swibo catering range are a good quality/cost compromise. Yes, and the steel. Digital scales, not so much for intuitive cooking but essential for baking, a good end-grain chopping board and a Tupperware rice steamer:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5336723079&icep_item=161367614541

I've seen a few of these in charity stores, it really is a great piece of kit.
And a mortar and pestle.

Don't start me talking
I could talk all night.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
(Copying Jarrod) a slow cooker
potato ricer
decent steamer set
garlic press -. a cast one not that stamped steel shit
Decent peeler - one with a moving blade, not a fixed one. like this
Lefse-Potato-Peeler.jpg
Surely a slow cooker is essential, stick a chilli or curry going, invite mates/girls.

As said by the previous esteemed gentlemen...slow cooker! Have made some amazing meals in them, for myself, for entertaining. A must have bit of kit.

Doing all my dinners in a pressure cooker on top of my wood stove this winter, goat curry ? Hell yes.

The mini deep fat fryer is the best cooking tool ever invented, and if any one doesn't agree I will fight them.

Deep fried fish finger sarnie ? Yes ruddy please.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
As said by the previous esteemed gentlemen...slow cooker! Have made some amazing meals in them, for myself, for entertaining. A must have bit of kit.
A few recipes, show him how to do them, off he goes.
If he can do all in stew, curry, chilli, he'll be sorted.
Omelette pan is another addition.

Latest Threads