Most Ugly Aircraft

SNCAC NC.1071

The first French twin-jet, basically the earlier piston-engined NC.1070 hacked around a bit to take a pair or Nene engines.

First flewnin October 1948 and despite crashing it dragged on through testing until 1951. To no avail. The program was terminated and a week later SNCAC was dissolved.

The pilots nicknamed it 'le tabouret' as its horizontal tailplane resembled a bar stool.

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Cold War recce missions over the Soviet Union in the 50s. Replaced by a proper recce varient of the Canberra.

Whilst not as ugly as some on here, it is a variation on the theme that seems to have developed.

The Sikorsky Helicopter Advanced Demonstrator of Operator Workload - or SHADOW. Someone worked very hard to shoehorn this platforms acronym into a cool name.

I remember seeing this in flight magazine way back in the dark ages when I was a school kid - it was intended (IRC) to see how the Comanche would work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember seeing this in flight magazine way back in the dark ages when I was a school kid - it was intended (IRC) to see how the Comanche would work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And given the demise of the RAH Comanche programme, I guess the answer was 'not well'.

The SHADOW thingy was part of a project to develop fly-by-wire control technology for helicopters. The LHX project, Light Helicopter Experimental, was a similar project to generate a replacement for the OH-6, the AH-1 and the Vietnam-era aircraft. A lot of what was developed in these projects ended up as actual tech on the AH-64, such as the mast mounted radar, the helmet technology, the screen technology,datalinking between helicopters and so on.

Latest Threads