Most Ugly Aircraft

The intermeshing rotored Kaman 1200: the ugliest helicopter?

Kaman K-MAX - Wikipedia

Clever design, actually.
By using synchro rotors, there's no power loss to the tail rotor.

"The K-MAX relies on two primary advantages of synchropters over conventional helicopters: The increased efficiency compared to conventional rotor-lift technology; and the synchropter's natural tendency to hover. This increases stability, especially for precision work in placing suspended loads. "

still fugly, though!

Primary purpose is functional, as they say.
In fact, all crop sprayers seem to be fugly.
Belphegor jet engined crop sprayer; the two objects left and right of the air intake are the spray hoppers and it could carry a mech / hopper filler man along with the pilot. It didnt always have spray bars as it was reckoned that the exhaust from the jet would spread the spray adequately. It was designed to operate from rough runways and spend it's working life in the fields.

Kaman K-MAX - Wikipedia

Clever design, actually.
By using synchro rotors, there's no power loss to the tail rotor.

"The K-MAX relies on two primary advantages of synchropters over conventional helicopters: The increased efficiency compared to conventional rotor-lift technology; and the synchropter's natural tendency to hover. This increases stability, especially for precision work in placing suspended loads. "

still fugly, though!
“Natural tendency to hover” is not a phrase I’ve ever heard before in a rotorcraft context...
However, I watched one it the Swiss alps underslinging cable car structures and it did seem to be rock steady. Great vis for the pilot too.
Total bästard to rig and track the rotors I imagine...

“Natural tendency to hover” is not a phrase I’ve ever heard before in a rotorcraft context...
However, I watched one it the Swiss alps underslinging cable car structures and it did seem to be rock steady. Great vis for the pilot too.
Total bästard to rig and track the rotors I imagine...
Amazing stuff. Kamov have a few choppers for which they use contraroting props - brilliant for underslung loads. Also ugly, though.
As an aside, Kaman made superb guitars.
Ovation Guitar Company - Wikipedia

The intermeshing rotored Kaman 1200: the ugliest helicopter?...
Not by a long way; the Dolman LZ-5...

Regards,
MM

Not by a long way; the Dolman LZ-5...

Regards,
MM
But the rotor hub would've been a thing of beauty.... Doman was an expert on rotor systems (and there is, IIRC, a case for saying that without him, Sikorsky would've taken much longer to get his early military helicopters to work [ISTR reading that Doman wasn't drafted into the services because Sikorsky intervened with the Draft board and effectively explained that the Army could either have the working helicopter it wanted, or PFC Doman under training, but not both].

When Doman helicopters ceased trading, Boeing Vertol snapped him up and he designed some of the first functional wind turbine blades in the US. Every time you read about new, advanced wind turbine concepts, or pass by a twin-blade wind turbine on your journey somewhere, the inspiration (and possibly the design itself) will owe at least a little something to Glid Doman and that little helicopter and its rotor system.