Most Ugly Aircraft

One of the issues with night shift designs is that you weren't even allowed to look cool sitting in one...

Is that a parachute in your pocket or have you massively shit yourself.....

To be objectively fair the Defiant wasn't a particularly bad or ugly aircraft, but the whole concept of a turret-fighter, a bit like the naval turret-ram proved to be a dead end...

With enough engine power and a forward firing armament, a turreted-fighter is not necessarily a dead-end

So when USAF replaced this thing with jet powered radar guided fighters how many had turrets? I also note from the production history that a significant fraction were built without the turret or with reduced turret armament...

So when USAF replaced this thing with jet powered radar guided fighters how many had turrets? I also note from the production history that a significant fraction were built without the turret or with reduced turret armament...
I've heard two stories about the turret. That B-29 production took priority for the turrets and that there were aerodynamic issues with the turret as originally fitted, possibly both.

I think the term 'barbette' came into play.
4 x .50s? That is devastation.
Not as much as the 4 ventrally mounted forward firing 20mm.

we should also note the following :

" However, for the most part, the upper guns caused buffeting on the tail when the turret was rotated. The problem became so severe that the upper guns were locked in the forward position and firing was controlled by the pilot. In some cases the top turret was removed in the field and replaced with an additional fuel tank that was faired over. "

Northrop P-61 Black Widow

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The air attempted to remodel this one...

There's a good story behind that shot - what is it?

I'm guessing it is one of the 17 B-52s that got whacked by NVA Sam SA-2/SA-75 's ?

By the conclusion of the Linebacker II campaign, the shootdown rate of the S-75 against the B-52s was 7.52% (15 B-52s were shot down, 5 B-52s were heavily damaged for 266 missile[14]).

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
These damn things are programmed to fly on into 2040....next time POTUS wants to send someone a signal that they really mean business, SAC will show up.

Given the fact that the Russians and their clients around the world have been able to shoot them down for the last fifty years it's a pretty remarkable survival.

I posted a list of the ten ugliest aircraft somewhere up the thread.

About half of them came from Blackburn’s night shift.
Did you include the F3?

85859249.jpg

Probably the wisest decision they made was not to try and fly it.

What I am not sure of is whether it was designed by Major F A Bumpus - who was chief designer (night shift leader?) for most of their more memorable designs.
Blackburn

...Given the fact that the Russians and their clients around the world have been able to shoot them down for the last fifty years it's a pretty remarkable survival.
Don’t mistake a Vietnam era B-52D with a modern B-52H. The latter remains an exceptionally versatile combat asset; it excels as a stand-off strike asset which means it doesn’t have to penetrate modern MEZs (although it has over Iraq and Serbia), it has also excelled as a CAS asset over Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.

For similar reasons, the Russians have retained their Tu-95MSs.

Regards,
MM

I've had a flight in one; it was f***ing brilliant. No carrier landings, unfortunately, but awesome nonetheless.
I unfortunately missed out on a Gannet flight and had to make do with the Heron, which was in some Carlos Fandango RN VIP fit.