Most Ugly Aircraft

D

Deleted 154930

Not overly fond of the Optica Scout, twin boom and oddly reminds you of a predator with a cockpit fitted.

The Ilyushin IL102 ground-attack aircraft that lost out to the Sukhoi 25

Jeezus. That is one ugly mother. Didn’t just fall out of the ugly tree but hit all the branches on the way down.

I presume the rear facing cockpit was for the tail gunner as Soviet technology wasn’t up to making him front facing with electronic control of the rear guns.

Maalox

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not overly fond of the Optica Scout, twin boom and oddly reminds you of a predator with a cockpit fitted.
The Optica had great as yet unfulfilled potential as a cheap observation alternative to a helicopter. I knew the Optica's inventor JKE Edgley personally, a great guy

Last edited:
D

Deleted 154930

The Optica had great as yet unfulfilled potential as a cheap observation alternative to a helicopter. I knew the Optica's inventor JKE Edgley personally, a great guy

I know it was meant to be a low cost observation aircraft, but its still an ugly aircraft. Compare it to the twin boom OV-10, which I think is a lovely looking aircraft.

Maalox

On ROPS
On ROPs
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Unaesthetic utility has a 'beauty' all of its own. As I have stated before, the most un-ugly aircraft for me is the IAI Arava!

D

Deleted 154930

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Extreme minimalist utility has a 'beauty' all of its own. As I have stated before, the most un-ugly aircraft for me is the IAI Arava!

I think the Arava looks neat and tidy... Lots of aircraft have a beauty despite some unusual design. The Fi Storch for instance, but the Optica Scout has that ugly bubble cockpit, massively useful and functional, but hideous aethestics.

Why do I suspect he never drops your name to try to impress people?

Surely the ugliest aircraft is the one you're on...

My mother would have described it as agricultural.
I'll bet if you revived that Il-102, with a modern FLIR kit, some sensors, defensive suite and an operator in that aft-facing seat and chucked out the tail gun and increased the fuel load, and hung some Western PGMs on it, you'd have a handy COIN aircraft.

Jeezus. That is one ugly mother. Didn’t just fall out of the ugly tree but hit all the branches on the way down.

I presume the rear facing cockpit was for the tail gunner as Soviet technology wasn’t up to making him front facing with electronic control of the rear guns.
I use that quote at work "I may have fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down but I'm still at the top of the stupid tree"

I'll bet if you revived that Il-102, with a modern FLIR kit, some sensors, defensive suite and an operator in that aft-facing seat and chucked out the tail gun and increased the fuel load, and hung some Western PGMs on it, you'd have a handy COIN aircraft.
You mean if you went back to the drawing board and redesigned it from scratch!

On the upside you wouldn’t want to be in a fighter creeping up behind it and hitting a wall of hot flying metal.

Having watched the video in #971 I am warming to it. It might look like it was knocked out in a tractor factory (one with a flourishing sideline in industrial greenhouses) but in flight it has a certain ugly elegance to it.

I don’t think ground attack aircraft are meant to look attractive as function governs form.

The Short SB.6 Seamew was a British aircraft designed in 1951 by David Keith-Lucas ...
View attachment 339067
The weather presenter Sarah Keith Lucas's grandfather .

The Seamew's 'poor performance' included having handling characteristics which were so bad that it was held that the Shorts test pilot, Wally Runciman, was the only man who could fly the thing without killing himself. Until his fatal crash in the prototype in 1956...

I've heard one poor chap who flew it suggest that it flew like a small three star hotel, without the amenities and another RN veteran suggested that it must have been designed by an Admiral who felt that naval aeroplanes must look like ships and handle like them when airborne. It was bloody dangerous and its cancellation as the result of the Sandys Review is thought to be about the only good thing that came of that...

. . . I don’t think ground attack aircraft are meant to look attractive as function governs form.
Well . . . The Jaguar was quite pretty?!

But yes! The Wharthog isn't called the Wharthog, as a compliment towards its looks ;) !!

The weather presenter Sarah Keith Lucas's grandfather .

The Seamew's 'poor performance' included having handling characteristics which were so bad that it was held that the Shorts test pilot, Wally Runciman, was the only man who could fly the thing without killing himself. Until his fatal crash in the prototype in 1956...

I've heard one poor chap who flew it suggest that it flew like a small three star hotel, without the amenities and another RN veteran suggested that it must have been designed by an Admiral who felt that naval aeroplanes must look like ships and handle like them when airborne. It was bloody dangerous and its cancellation as the result of the Sandys Review is thought to be about the only good thing that came of that...
It doesnt look like a stable platform at all.

I didn't realise it is thirty years old!

I like the bubble cockpit - reminiscent of the M*A*S*H helicopters.

I recall reports of the police having it on trials. Presumably nothing came of that?