Most Ugly Aircraft

Arguably the most unusual weapon trialed by the FW190 was the German ‘Kurt’ bomb. This was a smaller, reverse engineered version of the British Upkeep ‘bouncing bomb’, one of which had been captured intact during the Dams Raid.

Luckily, the Germans didn’t appreciate the importance of backspin. As a result, the weapon proved dangerous to the delivery aircraft and development was quickly halted.

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to find a picture of a Kurt, let alone one on an FW190.

Regards,
MM

Although Ar234s (and Me262s) were involved in some of the many air attacks against the Ludendorff Bridge, do you have a source for this specific claim?

My understanding is that the Bridge eventually succumbed to the combined stresses of numerous air attacks, V2 strikes (although non hit the bridge itself), artillery hits and Allied traffic from the several divisions which rushed across the bridge in the weeks after its capture.

Regards,
MM
Like I said. Disputed.

I'm sure the Ar234 attacks didn't help though. If they even occurred.

...I'm sure the Ar234 attacks didn't help though. If they even occurred.
The Luftwaffe threw just about everything they had at the bridge, from Ar234s and Me262s to Stukas, all of which had near misses or damaged the bridge to one extent or another albeit at significant cost. So the Ar234 was certainly involved. Indeed, Robert Taylor even did quite a nice painting of one of the attacks...so it must be true! :)

I've always had a bit of a thing about the Ar234!

Regards,
MM

The 234 had a bombing autopilot so that the pilot could, if doing high-altitude level bombing, arm the autopilot and then set aside his flight controls and put his eye to the bombsight, drop the bombs and then return to the flight controls and fly home.

Arguably the most unusual weapon trialed by the FW190 was the German ‘Kurt’ bomb. This was a smaller, reverse engineered version of the British Upkeep ‘bouncing bomb’, one of which had been captured intact during the Dams Raid.

Luckily, the Germans didn’t appreciate the importance of backspin. As a result, the weapon proved dangerous to the delivery aircraft and development was quickly halted.

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to find a picture of a Kurt, let alone one on an FW190.

Regards,
MM
67627299-TM-9-1985-2 Page 15 is what you are looking for...

Strange looking thing!

The JU 52 (this one might be a CASA 352 - not sure).
I don't think that it's the ugliest aircraft in the world but I've always liked the way that Martin Caidin described it in his novel 'Wingborn':
"a machine spawned by ill-mannered elves in some black forest of Bavaria".

IMG_0723.jpg

I always liked the original cockpit of a Tanta Ju.. wicker seats and the distance from the pilots to the windscreen.. It reminded me of an Edwardian greenhouse!

Did a couple of demo jumps from the Saffer CASA352. Nice slow run in and you could wind down the windows over the wing and sit there with your elbow out in the slipstream like a Free State farmer in a Nissan 1400 pickup.

Flew a photo shoot in a C182 to get some pics of it for a magazine. C182 ran away from it at cruise settings.

AN2. Forgot the step outside once before flying back to home base from a local skydiving club. It just hooks in and isn't secure at all. Remembered as we descended over the suburbs and had a few arse clenching minutes imagining the step coming off and killing someone or going through the roof of a house. Landed, taxied in and opened the door to find the step still in place. The thing cruises at around 80 kts so luckily the gentle breeze of the slipstream didn't blow it off.

you could sit in an An-2 and get the same impression; big windows, levers everywhere, noise, fumes, oil,etc...
..likewise the Mi-26 that used to squat at the end of the runway at KAF.. like flying in a furniture van.. I think everything was moving (..in opposing directions).. quite put me off me cocoa!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The NAAFI Bar 48
Mighty_doh_nut Now That's What I Call NAAFI Bar 89
M Officers 25