Most Ugly Aircraft

that swept wing concept is quite common is some of the smaller, older microlights such as the Kasperwing as it is quite stable and easy to fly. Ugly but useful.

that swept wing concept is quite common is some of the smaller, older microlights such as the Kasperwing as it is quite stable and easy to fly. Ugly but useful.
That takes me back stovepipe, on the subject of ugly micro lights ( early)
I submit to the bench the pterodactyl ( bugger picture won’t post google it). I did fly one for a weekend, like an ugly girlfriend , all right as long as you hadn’t known any different !.

You mean like I did in post 904 [see also post 901].
No. The pterodactyl I refer to was an American creation from the early 80,s
When in the US an ultralight had to be capable of foot launching .( tho the one I flew had bmx bike main wheels. )You slouched in a hammock to fly it and roll control was by wing tip drag plates..
It looked like someone had had a car accident into a big pile of deckchairs and then the wind had caught the remains and propelled it into the air.

828DF40A-6C2E-4532-A49C-7C792FC505E6.jpeg

The bumble bees I flew in Slovakia whilst having a certain rugged charm could never be described as pretty either.
They were built like brick shithouses though. One I flew had a glider tow hook welded to the Mudgard on the tail wheel !

I got where you were going, and I'd agree that the concepts were superior - Tiger, BFO gun and lots of armour, same with Panther - but not their execution.

There's probably a new thread on this. The Tiger and Panther might have been conceptually far ahead at one stage but they were very conservative next to 1,000-tonne tank concepts. The Bavarian Corporal had some very odd ambitions. To bring us anywhere near back to this thread, insisting that the Me-262 be a fighter-bomber is a case in point.
Whilst the mono-testicled maniac mentioned it, he never pushed it much and the LW largely ignored his order. The Schwalbe was never equipped with even a rudimentary bombsight, and just used the Revi reflector sight instead, making bombing accuracy poor to pointless. Strafing the target with 4x 30mm cannons would probably be more effective.

But the LW already had an excellent precision strike bomber in the form of the Arado 234 Blitz. Although disputed by US Forces, a pair of these at high speed and low level, despite murderous flak brought down the span of the Remagen (aka Ludendorff) bridge in 1945 without loss to themselves.

Last edited:
...Although disputed by US Forces, a pair of these at high speed and low level, despite murderous flak brought down the span of the Remagen (aka Ludendorff) bridge in 1945 without loss to themselves.
Although Ar234s (and Me262s) were involved in some of the many air attacks against the Ludendorff Bridge, do you have a source for this specific claim?

My understanding is that the Bridge eventually succumbed to the combined stresses of numerous air attacks, V2 strikes (although non hit the bridge itself), artillery hits and Allied traffic from the several divisions which rushed across the bridge in the weeks after its capture.

Regards,
MM

Whilst the mono-testicled maniac mentioned it, he never pushed it much and the LW largely ignored his order. The Schwalbe was never equipped with even a rudimentary bombsight, and just used the Revi reflector sight instead, making bombing accuracy poor to pointless. Strafing the target with 4x 30mm cannons would probably be more effective.

But the LW already had an excellent precision strike bomber in the form of the Arado 234 Blitz.
If I understand correctly what I have read elsewhere, the Austrian was simply developing the Jabo theme that the Luftwaffe had pioneered very successfully with the Me 110, Bf 109 and the Fw 190.

In particular the Fw 190F series were the best ground attack aircraft the LW had by 1944.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190F8-I.SG2-Black-5-Hungary-1944-45-0A.jpg

In all fairness, Hitler's idea was to flood the D-day invasion beaches with Jabos - including the Me 262. Since just about every other LW fighter was festooned with bombs (or even torpedos),

b0295d97819ef91aebf435a76151a350.jpg

it must have seemed reasonable to add the 262 to the list. As it was, a combination of petrol shortage, Mustangs etc. rather made a mess of his timetable, but by that stage the LW was short of everything.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The NAAFI Bar 48
Mighty_doh_nut Now That's What I Call NAAFI Bar 89
M Officers 25