Most Ugly Aircraft

The Conroy Skymonster

800px-N447FT_Canadair_%28Conroy%29_CL-44-O_Guppy_%2812865384175%29.jpg

buffalo-airways-canadair-cl-44-o-conroy-skymonster-ei-bnd-wernher-krutein.jpg

8da29b20bd6c29c28e7e96eba8287d58.jpg

What was it originally, before it caught elephantotus?

Poor thing.

There are better images out there

View attachment 612455
The aircraft designed by a distant relative did two raids on Germany, with humongous A to B via Z routes and all enabled by brave and intelligent men and an aircraft built for long range.

How did the Skymonster’s rudder get any effective airflow?

Higher Vmca/g I suppose. Having four donks would help deal with asymmetry but if you lose two on one side you may have a bit of a problem maintaining those speeds.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Higher Vmca/g I suppose. Having four donks would help deal with asymmetry but if you lose two on one side you may have a bit of a problem maintaining those speeds.

To lose one engine may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

To paraphrase Oscar.

Originally a Canadair CL-44 Yukon, itself a development of the Bristol Britannia.

canadair-cl-44-yukon-01.jpg
Just to point out a small detail that might get overlooked, that Yukon has the short-lived red and white roundels, adopted in 1967 in celebration of the Canadian centennial, instead of red, white, and blue roundels.

Ugly AND pretty useless. Although my father survived a ditching in one.

Another one collided with a Defiant over Blackpool, with tragic results for the crews and people on the ground. Seventeen dead in all, I think.
The worst air disaster in UK up to the date occurred just a few miles from Blackpool in August 1943.
A fueled up B-24 from the USAAF 2nd Base Air Depot at Wharton crashed during a storm, coming down on the village school at Freckleton.
61 people died in all, 40 of them young children, aged 4 to 6 from the school.

Last edited:

Latest Threads