Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Ugly Aircraft

View attachment 551968

Libellula
This twin-engine British experimental craft was primarily a military plane, though it had incredible potential for civilian purposes as well. First flown in 1945, it possessed incredible endurance and range for such a relatively lightweight transport/bomber. Uniquely, it was the first heavy bomber specifically designed to land on aircraft carriers. The Libellula was able to deliver a 2,000-pound payload out to 1,600 miles and cruise at 400 mph… quite an impressive list of specs for that day and age. As a civilian plane, it would have served as an incredibly powerful medium commuter plane. Read more about military aircraft
The M.39B Libellula (from Libellulidae, a taxonomic family of dragonflies) was a Second World War tandem wing experimental aircraft built by Miles Aircraft, designed to give the pilot the best view possible for landing on aircraft carriers. A scale version of the M.39 design was proposed by Miles to meet Air Ministry specification B.11/41 for a fast bomber. The M.39B was used by Miles to generate data from which the M.39 design was improved, but the M.39 project was cancelled and the M.39B broken up.
Didn’t they build a few of this type wing layout, called Pterodactyl’s?

Bailing out must have been more sporting than a Pfiel

Lets see pureed by the props or tenderized bouncing of the fin and fuselage
I read that the Pfeil ejection sequence involved operating a system to explosively shed the rear prop blades before the rest of the procedure. Hopefully doing all of this before piling in.

Curtiss B18 Bolo

Douglas B-18A airplane in flight (00910460 121).jpg

800px-Douglas_B-18_Bolo_JBLM.JPG
Douglas gets the blame for that howler, not Curtiss.
Odd that it comes from the same pedigree as the DC3, a real design classic.

I am not sure why you want to do aerobatics in an airliner.,.
GLz_5P2KMry3pzLXnhmiQIOtuVxU93cF3Fs6x15sG-Xb8vVNVBdfsW2K7vRSwUNBGPIJMRd3Qd1oJSWfynQcIPxKFPf3Gp4
Dunno, seeing this live was impressive:
Especially when you knew he'd just flown in from Jo'burg, dropped the pax at Heathrow and would be picking up the return flight the next day.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Dunno, seeing this live was impressive:
Especially when you knew he'd just flown in from Jo'burg, dropped the pax at Heathrow and would be picking up the return flight the next day.
How the hell did he (I am assuming) get away with that? I imagine there was an interview without tea and biscuits on landing.

Pete Cozy

Swinger
Off track, sorry. I once spent around 38 hours in the back of a Herc, added another NBC state "NBC Freezing my fecking tits off", every piece of clothing I had, Noddy Suit, '58 pattern gonk bag and still cold, the Aircrew had heated suits, I don't think I stopped vibrating for weeks!.