Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Ugly Aircraft

Bell 61

Bell XHSL-1 prototype in flight c1953.jpg

Looks like someone misread the Airfix instructions........................

Tyk

LE
Would have been ideal for the jolly brave chaps of SOE, 1942-1944.

Probably, but they made do with the Lysander for the task which is relatively decent looking as well as highly capable. You can see the lineage in that weird, but impressive red beast.

Back in the day, there was a cartoon in Air Clues about flight plans; those for Shackleton flights being written on a page-a-day calendar...

And the ASI in Catalinas being replaced by a calendar.

tiv

LE
I actually quite liked the look of the Twin Pioneer. I seem to remember that it could carry bombs under the sponsons and some enterprising person in the Indonesian conflict fitted machine guns as well - in a number of locations!
Coincedentially I was going through some aircraft documentaries on the PVR recently and there was one on the Twin Pioneer. Two former crew mentioned doing some bombing with it and this popped up on the screen. Sorry about the quality, photographed the screen with a camera.

Twin Pin Bomb.jpg

I actually quite liked the look of the Twin Pioneer.
Me too, and it could land in places you wouldn't expect a fixed-wing aircraft to be capable of.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Coincedentially I was going through some aircraft documentaries on the PVR recently and there was one on the Twin Pioneer.Two forme r crew mentioned doing some bombing with it
Where please?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
This one is at the Scottish Aviation Museum at East Fortune. It has dents and dinks and lots of character and very quickly became my favorite.

72331729_10217594201259433_7816132689584455680_o.jpg

tiv

LE
Where please?
This won't be a lot of help but it was in a series titled Classic British Aircraft and the episode was called Transporters that was broadcast last February on Quest. ISTR the series has been shown a few times as is the way on Freeview but not noticed it lately.

Having said that I Googled it and it's on YouTube
The bomb bit is at 7:20.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
If it's wokkas then the Bristol Belvedere ....

1610469284517.png

Can you make it a bit longer, and maybe put some little wings on the back, oh, and make the front landing gear longer [so we can get a torpwdo underneath as requested by the navy that never used the thing...]
1610469399852.png

Oh, and make a bulge on one side of the fuselage so that the pilot can squeeze past the front engine to get to the cabin...

The troops can climb the 4' to get in and we'll give the pilots a 7' ladder so they can get in and out.

The only word for this wokka is ... KLUDGE.

Not sure of the model no. of the Piasecki helicopter shown, but in service models were the H-21.

Flying-Banana.jpg

Not sure of the model no. of the Piasecki helicopter shown, but in service models were the H-21.

H-21 Shawnee, more commonly the Flying Banana. Also beloved of the Frogs, both they and the Septics used it as a gunship!

Latest Threads