Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Ugly Aircraft

I thought of that. But look at the shadow on the inboard section of the starboard wing. The sun appears to be on the left hand side of the Beverley and making the fuselage shadow angle towards the rear of the aircraft.

And if it is a shadow of the port vertical thingy, what is it on? Something ain't right..............
It's just a shadow on the shiny surface of the tail, that appears odd because the two surfaces slope downwards towards the fuselage. If you look at the drawing on the Wikipedia site, it eventually make sense. The shadow on the starboard wing just adds to the confusion because the wing slopes downwards.

The Russian Kalinin.
I'm thinking of this Reisenflugzeug. It was impossible to land due to the pilot having no idea where the wheels were relative to the ground, wheels that actually belonged on a train.

The transparent bit was made from cellon material that contracted with heat meaning that as the flight progressed, the stick and rudder had less and less to do with the aircraft's direction or attitude. And it glinted in sunlight. And it was highly flammable.
origin.jpg

tiv

LE
When I see one of these abortions I can't help but think what must have been going through the test pilot's mind when he saw the aircraft for the first time.

YMBFJ springs to mind.
The bulk wasn't helped by having the engines in the fuselage, something the Germans seemed to be fond of.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
1606306442969.png

Bernard 82.

60 feet long with a 90 foot wingspan on a singe engine.

When I see one of these abortions I can't help but think what must have been going through the test pilot's mind when he saw the aircraft for the first time.

YMBFJ springs to mind.
I think they initially imagined the glamour, the status and the girls when they went for pilot training. Then found themselves cooking their bollocks in that contraption and realising death or injury was inevitable later that day.

On the plus side, those wheels look to be of an appropriate size.

I think the wheels in the picture were grafted on.

My vast repository of aviation knowledge (a quick Google coz I had never heard of the aircraft) informs me that the retractable undercarriage kept failing and the aircraft made repeated landings on its belly.

Because of this they then grafted those wheels on.

From a pram.

Our Long Range development craft looked freaky too (Fairey Long Range Monoplane, Vickers Wellesley Mk2)

Blimey.

The Fairey one looks like a direct, errh shall we say homage, to the Froggy one.

Interesting (if somewhat short lived) history. This assumes you think killing the pilots is interesting.

The Vicker's one should have been strangled in the womb.

I think they initially imagined the glamour, the status and the girls when they went for pilot training. Then found themselves cooking their bollocks in that contraption and realising death or injury was inevitable later that day.

That's one of the great things about this thread.

The test pilots think they are going to get a sexy, streamlined, glistening state of the art aircraft (Spitfire, Lightning. TSR2 etc) and end up with something that looks like a cross between a shed, a scrapyard and a pig.

Then they die.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's one of the great things about this thread.

The test pilots think they are going to get a sexy, streamlined, glistening state of the art aircraft (Spitfire, Lightning. TSR2 etc) and end up with something that looks like a cross between a shed, a scrapyard and a pig.

Then they die.

Or we'd like you fly this
1606316094752.png

Lancaster test bed for jet engines

Latest Threads