Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Ugly Aircraft

Shadow of the port vertical thingy?
I thought of that. But look at the shadow on the inboard section of the starboard wing. The sun appears to be on the left hand side of the Beverley and making the fuselage shadow angle towards the rear of the aircraft.

And if it is a shadow of the port vertical thingy, what is it on? Something ain't right..............

In the Pfeil, pulling the ejection handles blew off the prop and fin in a second and the canopy had to be manually shed,which gave rise to the claim that it ripped the arms off pilots. The canopy jettison lever pulled back a couple of bolts and the airflow did the rest.

I thought of that. But look at the shadow on the inboard section of the starboard wing. The sun appears to be on the left hand side of the Beverley and making the fuselage shadow angle towards the rear of the aircraft.

And if it is a shadow of the port vertical thingy, what is it on? Something ain't right..............
It’s probably a optical elusion, as the rear tail plane flying surface has a fair bit of dihedral.

For a time when aviation was advancing in leaps and bounds, it's always intrigued me how the Beverley seemed to have the appearance of being quite a step backwards.

It's what happens when some berk decides to put engines on a glider....

did better than the Hermans though...
1602851214248.png

They used them all over the Eastern Front as well. Moving supplies by DFS gliders towed by Hs 126 or even Stukas was common and they made several types of powered gliders, that could operate off flat ground. Gotha and Arado made gliders and powered airframes from wood, steel tube and fabric that used captured engines.

Haven' t seen 'em at shows lately.
Always impressive when they came in 'dirty', especially into a howling SouEaster. Seem to hang in the air.
I must check if they are still allowed to fly.
Only one mentioned in wiki site

Buccaneer S2B XX885 (registered G-HHAA) is under restoration at the former RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire [17] and is being rebuilt to flying condition by Hawker Hunter Aviation. It was granted UK CAA permission to fly in April 2006.

Only one mentioned in wiki site

Buccaneer S2B XX885 (registered G-HHAA) is under restoration at the former RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire [17] and is being rebuilt to flying condition by Hawker Hunter Aviation. It was granted UK CAA permission to fly in April 2006.

Again, haven't seen 'em recently.

aha - Edit to add: for sale as of last year.

Last edited:

Again, haven't seen 'em recently.

aha - Edit to add: for sale as of last year.
Errr . . . why is the BUCCANEER, in the "Most UGLY aircraft" thread . . . :( . . . ?!

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Vickers Vulcan Type 61 nicknamed "The Flying Pig"
Not only because of its' looks but it wasn't nice to fly either
1606167576115.png

Latest Threads