Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Ugly Aircraft

the fire burned through the elevator cables. Even if he had ejected, he probably would have been too low to survive.
Didn't the Pfeil have to explosively shed the rear prop before ejection? Long and potentially fatal process.

Didn't the Pfeil have to explosively shed the rear prop before ejection? Long and potentially fatal process.
wiki:
VG+PH went to the Navy for evaluation and was sent to the Test and Evaluation Center, Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Maryland, USA. Following testing from 1945 to 1948, the aircraft languished in outside storage at Naval Air Station Norfolk. In 1961, it was donated to the Smithsonian's National Air Museum, though it remained in deteriorating condition at Norfolk for several more years before being moved to the National Air and Space Museum's storage facility in Suitland, Maryland. In October 1974, VG+PH was returned to the Dornier plant in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany (then building the Alpha Jet) for a complete restoration. In 1975, the aircraft was restored by Dornier employees, many of whom had worked on the airplane originally.
They were surprised that the explosive charges built into the aircraft to blow off the dorsal fin and rear propeller prior to pilot ejection were still installed and active 30 years later.

Haven' t seen 'em at shows lately.
Always impressive when they came in 'dirty', especially into a howling SouEaster. Seem to hang in the air.
I must check if they are still allowed to fly.
They were operated by Thunder City South Africa. That is until the Lightning crash that took the life of the pilot. Whether they’ve started operations again I don’t know.

They were operated by Thunder City South Africa. That is until the Lightning crash that took the life of the pilot. Whether they’ve started operations again I don’t know.
they have flown since the ZU-Bex crash.
But not a lot.
Owner Beachy-Head died last year, so planes' fate is not known.
As I say, I haven't seen em, and they used to be regular sightings.

tiv

LE
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Linke-Hofmann_R1-rear_view.png

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
always thought the Pfeil was a brutishly good looking piece of equipment myself.

1599247581185.png

the two seater is fugly mind, I'll grant you that.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
A 1930s imagining of 1950s retro to someone in the far off 1970s. =-D

Latest Threads