Most Ugly Aircraft

Those Tradewinds in the background look mahoosive.

Thanks for that. Very sad.
Sad for sure, they routinely flew at 100 foot minus on Red Flag. There was a cracking bit of film from one of the range bunkers but I haven't seen it in some time.

tiv

LE
Sad for sure, they routinely flew at 100 foot minus on Red Flag. There was a cracking bit of film from one of the range bunkers but I haven't seen it in some time.
Never seen it but I'm told the film of them flying through Beirut is quite something.

Is that the film, were all you see of the Buccaneers, is their wing tips going between dunes. I think they were attacking a dummy SAM 7 site and the Yanks couldn’t get a lock ?

Never seen it but I'm told the film of them flying through Beirut is quite something.
I was in Cyprus when they did it, the feckers had enough practice and scared the shit out of hung over me a few times. Interesting time, lot of people at Akrotiri, practicing for various options.
Is that the film, were all you see of the Buccaneers, is their wing tips going between dunes. I think they were attacking a dummy SAM 7 site and the Yanks couldn’t get a lock ?
Yup, dat one - absolute awe in the range controller's voice.

I was in Cyprus when they did it, the feckers had enough practice and scared the shit out of hung over me a few times. Interesting time, lot of people at Akrotiri, practicing for various options.
Down there in the weeds!................

tiv

LE
It didn't do much in the Gulf - spiking when we went medium level. Spams were impressed with it at Red Flag - until its wings started falling off.
The Buccaneers eventually bombed as well as designated, dropping 48 laser guided bombs.

EDIT: Apparently the Buccaners did not carry bombs initially as they were fitted with Sidewinders for self defence. Once it was realised that there was no risk of attack they replced the Sidewinders with bombs which they used after designating for the Tornados.

Last edited:
You know, someone should get hold of that film, then give it a suitable sound track.
Jaws !

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Not sure if this is the right place but given their offspring are most likely to be less than attractive, I thought it might be appropriate....
EcTu3gKXsAEhe76.jpeg

Not sure if this is the right place but given their offspring are most likely to be less than attractive, I thought it might be appropriate....View attachment 489874
Very impressive the Whitley driver got it all down on the ground.
that Anson is well ofset to the left and the Whitley only has one rudder left to compensate ( with all that drag on top its not as if he would be able to throttle back the stbd merlin much)
bet the laundry Bill was huge though.

Latest Threads