LE
Was reading about another Convair aircraft today, along with others

article

Lockheed XFV
View attachment 489465

View attachment 489463

Hiller X-18
View attachment 489464
& I thought the incredibly expensive Osprey was the first of its kind?

A bit of a sweeping generalization I think. The Grumman Tiger was a great looking aeroplane and another with pleasing lines was the Hawker Sea Hawk.
Grumman Cougar. Very easy on the eye. The Vigilante was an elegant beast too.

tiv

LE
Im wrong again.So why was there all the hype about how advanced the Osprey was?somr massaging of the truth at work?
Hopefully some one can answer that. The one V-22 feature I'm aware of is the way it can 'fold' itself up for storage on a carrier

Last edited:
The Buccaneer is like someone's fat sister; curves all over the shop and that airbrake stuck on at the back like an afterthought and it's built like the Forth Bridge. Blackburn didnt do good looking aircraft.

HSF

LE
The Buccaneer is like someone's fat sister; curves all over the shop and that airbrake stuck on at the back like an afterthought and it's built like the Forth Bridge. Blackburn didnt do good looking aircraft.
Butit worked though.Even the septics were impressed with it in Gulf1 i think

It didn't do much in the Gulf - spiking when we went medium level. Spams were impressed with it at Red Flag - until its wings started falling off.

Quite.
late last century I was jogging back from Skye at about a thousand feet abeam Arran when I got a fast traffic advisory from the nice man at Prestwick. Thirty secs of head on a gymbal , bugger all.
I would have missed both of them if the sea had been other than a slight swell. I don’t know how low the two Bucks were but they were really motoring and the wake they were leaving on the sea surface was what enabled me to find them. very impressive,!

It didn't do much in the Gulf - spiking when we went medium level. Spams were impressed with it at Red Flag - until its wings started falling off.
One Buccaneer on Red Flag pinged a power cable at about 38 feet (I think) at quite a large rate of knots and lost the nose radome. Got back safely to Nellis, though. with no injuries.

The cable was supplying power to a uranium mine, causing significant disruption to the miners. A lot of stick was expected from the mine operators, but there was none. Apparently, the mine should have had an alternative power source and ........ahem.......it didn't. So no complaint drawing attention to the problem..........

I can't remember the wings falling off, though. Any examples?

One Buccaneer on Red Flag pinged a power cable at about 38 feet (I think) at quite a large rate of knots and lost the nose radome. Got back safely to Nellis, though. with no injuries.

The cable was supplying power to a uranium mine, causing significant disruption to the miners. A lot of stick was expected from the mine operators, but there was none. Apparently, the mine should have had an alternative power source and ........ahem.......it didn't. So no complaint drawing attention to the problem..........

I can't remember the wings falling off, though. Any examples?
XV345