Most Ugly Aircraft

HE117

LE

Yokel

LE
I always thought the Skyvan looked as though it was built from an IKEA flatpack -although in those days it was more likely MFI.
Did Shorts have a thing for ugly designs? The Sherpa was not exactly a looker, but it worked. I suspect that the Fairey Gannet (particularly the AEW3 and the proposed AEW7) have been mentioned, but Shorts had a design for an even uglier type for a carrierborne ASW type.

It was so fugly it offended the sky and would have been thrown overboard by sailors.

Last edited:
Did Shorts have a thing for ugly designs? The Sherpa was not exactly a looker, but it worked. I suspect that the Fairey Gannet (particularly the AEW3 and the proposed AEW7) have been mentioned, but Shorts had a design for an even uglier type for a carrierborne ASW type.

It was so fugly it offended the sky and would have been thrown overboard by sailors.
All carrier aircraft are ugly beasts.
Just is. A product of function over aesthetics.

That would be the Seamew of which Eric 'Winkle' Brown wrote "It is difficult to get into, it should be made impossible".

triggerigger

War Hero
Not sure if this has come up yet
Its a pig and probably
"flies as good as she looks "
xfy-1-pogo.jpg

Last edited:
The Evangel looks like the lovechild of a Drover and a Skyvan. To be fair, that paint job does it no favours.