Most Stupid Thing Yo've Ever Done?

Was hard wiring a stereo in for a friend. There were only 2 wall plugs so rigged up a connector block at the back of the built-in stero cabinet (it was the 1980s) to wire in amp, cassett, record deck and radio. There was a problem with the amp so I pulled it to get it fixed. Turned the switch off at the wall -- wrong, turned the standard lamp switch off and left the stereo feed on. Identical plugs, both with white cables.

Using a steel screwdrive unscrewed the connector block.

Woke up against the far wall of the room with a very sore arm and shoulder.

The sort of stupid trick I have only ever done once.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Got a new freezer many years ago but the space for it had no plug socket. But that's easy enough to fix, have a spare plug, a reel of cable and socket end.

Helpful hint. If you wish to make a custom length extension cable, start by wiring in the socket end and then running it round to the existing wall socket before cutting the cable.

FF Method. Attach plug to cable, insert plug into wall socket, run out exact amount of cable required, cut wire. Wonder what the bright flash was and why the house is now in darkness! Unplug unfinished extension cable, reset fuses, complete the cut of the wire, attach socket and then plug in.

Whilst climbing a mast in NI, thought I'd looped my safety belt through the mast, leaned back to do some work, promptly fell six feet as I'd fucked it up somehow. Lucky I wasn't any higher as I got away with just shitty pants.
Similar on a Rasmussen mast on one of the Golf sites in Armagh.

I thought my pole strap was around one of the mast legs, it wasn't, I leaked faecal matter and dropped a very expensive trial antenna.

but not as bad as watching a colleague trying to exit a Lynx helicopter (he thought we had landed) at night over Golf 40 when the door gunner opened the door to check ground clearance- we were at approximately 150 ft. It was only due to the diligence of the door gunner who grabbed the fuckwit which stopped him from his mini free fall.

He should have let him go.

Some years ago in a rented flat, I had a new red dot sight to fit to my crossbow (a stupid purchase but I had my reasons). It was raining outside and I could not be bothered to go outside to sight it in.

All I wanted to do was fit the red dot, sight it in at 10 meters and I would sort it out properly when I got outside the next day.

I had to stand with my back against the front door and I put a yellow pages as a target up against the far wall, which got me ten meters of distance. The only place to put the target was next to a steel, water filled radiator. I thought the sight might be a few inches out but not enough to miss the yellow pages entirely....

Some moments later and a large pool of water was forming on the floor as the radiator now has a crossbow bolt embedded in it. I walked over and saw that my red dot was way out, It shot inches to the right and the bolt penetrated both sides of the steel radiator and embedded itself int he wall behind it.

Had to shut the radiator off and replace the damned thing, it made quite a mess and was not my finest moment.

First one's free, subsequent sessions will cost you a bag of Eukanuba*.

*It may be cheaper to hire a trio of high class Belarusian whores.
You're getting soft in your old age.

Yeah, I once put diesel into my petrol car years ago after driving for 10 hours from the south of England up to Aberdeen. I was so knackered I didn't realise I stuck the wrong pump nozzle in the tank. Fortunatley it was only a gallon of diesel as the tank was 3 quarters full of petrol. My car still ran but it was a bit lumpy until the fuel in the tank was used up a bit so I could put some more petrol in. It didn't do any lasting damage except make the exhaust smoke like an old boiler for a while.

When first posted out to West Germany in the 1960s as a 19 year old wet behind the ears, not very bright soldier - I kept saluting WO 1's as they wore similar Army raincoats to officers and the same design of of officers cap. so then I:oops: was picked up for not saluting an officer......... I was soooo confused.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
I once joined a forum populated by a bunch of angry, misogynistic, misanthropic, homophobic, racist, sexist, geriatric drunks.

Cheers,
Dan.
You say that like its a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First one's free, subsequent sessions will cost you a bag of Eukanuba*.

*It may be cheaper to hire a trio of high class Belarusian whores.
J42 M6, any Thu 1800 to 1900, I will pay in mad women's gold foil milk tops. From the south go left and next immediate left.

Oh my way home from a night out when I was 18, I nicked a skateboard off a bunch of youths and thinking I was awesome, decided to show them my skills...

Blind drunk, I came straight off the board, stumbled straight into the road and into the path of a Transit van, pinning me between it and a car. It wasn't my finest hour and after two broken femurs, a smashed ankle, broken hips and pelvis - I'm still as fûcked today as I was then!

Edit: Oh and two smashed vertabrae.

I think that's it. Edit over.

Yeah, I once put diesel into my petrol car years ago after driving for 10 hours from the south of England up to Aberdeen. I was so knackered I didn't realise I stuck the wrong pump nozzle in the tank. Fortunatley it was only a gallon of diesel as the tank was 3 quarters full of petrol.
500 miles on a quarter of a tank of petrol? Did you do most of the journey on a recovery truck?

...walking out of the place to an accompaniment of the electronic chorus of "Six.... Six... Nine... Nine.... Nine..."
This story must be true. If it had been made up, the punch line would have been "..three...five...three...five...three...five..."