Most stupid lecture you had to do on a tiffy board

Discussion in 'REME' started by Wasanig, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did my tiffy board in 91-passed then signed off before the lobotomy!

My 10 minute 'lecturettes' to prepare were:

1. Aikido
    2. Toolmaking
    3. United Nations operations in Somalia

WHich one did i get? Yes you've guessed it number 3, deep joy.

Others on the course had

The inside of an executives briefcase
    Ping pong balls
    Zips

Which T%at thinks these up???????

2. Think yourself lucky. When I was going through Depot our DS delighted in thinking up lecturette topics we had to present on for 5 mins with 1 mins notice. Off the top of my head, I had the joy of bowling, how to boil an egg without showing light, the reproductive cycle of terrapins and planning an expedition to the source of the Nile.

It taught me two things, how to bullshit and how I should never carelessly allow myself to be 6'5'' in a platoon of Weegies.

3. Management of a Tug o' war team, comparison of SA80 to current weapons, and women - should they be allowed?( Not in the army, just generally I think.)

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Easy, on my YofS selection I had 15 minutes to prepare a lecture on the single word Free. Others had words like stone and paper etc. Just flanneled like hell, a skill I had perfected quite well by then. I passed too :D

5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

On a police training course I had to do a 10 minute presentation on a stated case. R v Whitehouse. Incitement to incest. And I wasn't even in Norfolk!

6. Incitement to incest? Name wasn't Maddie Whitehouse, was it?

7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bit before her time. It was a 1971 case. Quite interesting, and disturbing. I believe it is now a textbook 'How to........' book for Norfolk, Lincs and parts of Cornwall.

8. Moved to REME forum

9. The sex life of a match, Tanks in WW2 (how i was supposed to do that in 5 minutes was beyond me) The use of D10 in a Hide.

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Can't remember the lecturette but for general discussion groups:
    Homosexuals in the Army= Global answer "no pooftahs"
    Should we spend more money on the men than equipment = pretty obvious more on the men, aside from a few arsrelickers.
    Should we do more to curb the drinking culture of young men in the Army= of course (mines a pint of lager).
    Things have perhaps moved on a little since 1985
    TB
    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

11. I think that you may have missed the point. The choice of subject on PAAB was (it is no longer covered on PAAB) largely irrelevant. The board were looking for the way that a candidate performed under pressure, their planning skills and their presentation skills. What you actually spoke about really didn't matter. Oh well, you live and learn. CASREP

12. The economics & manning of a local bus company - 1984 whilst the PAAB was still at Canada hutments.

13. I had to discuss the frog in a brick way back in 81 for my board.
    Easy you might think, but there was no Google then, so research was bloody hard, where do you get info on bricks any way?

Time was running out - still no decent info to pad out 15 minutes.

Then by some quirk of fate there was a small article in a magazine on how a frog had become trapped in the brick work of a building but managed to survive.

One lecture on the life and times of frogs from tadpole to hibernation.

14. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

With Stu Senior as the RSM.

15. Correct TB, but he was a completely different person than he was when he was RSM!