Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Productive Day Yet for MoD?

Blues_Cav said:
walt_of_the_walts said:
Bat_Crab said:
Gun_Empty said:
BC - You must work in APC!

I don't, but I believe it is now part of the civil servant dress regs that you must possess one of the following:

- 'Comedy' cartoon tie.
- Slightly too short trousers.
- Elasticated waist trousers.
- Pony tail.
- Slip on shoes.
- Collar dandruff.
- Scraggy 'two-week' beard with crumbs in.
- Body odour.

Where I work, thats the management down to a tee.

We, The managed, wear uniforms.

We, the managed, will be on strike as our union balloted us, we voted and its a democratic decision which we will respect, whether we like it or not. (incidentally, I did not get a ballot paper due to a balls-up, but will respect the decision made by my colleagues)

Those scruffy management fcukers will be scabbing and trying to maintain a 'presence' on the day, despite being in the same union as us.

Anyway, it tells Blair, Brown, and Neu Arbeit what we think of their downsizing policies, which are only in place to bribe the electorate with money saved before the next election.

Too much spent on civil servants? Arent the army are civil servants of a sort too, just with a somewhat different contract. happy with your level of funding? Pay? Equipment? Career prospects?

PLEASE never link the Army to the Civil Service like that again. This HQ is full of Civil Servants who spend all day talking on the phone to family. Try to complain about the waste of time and miss use of military funds and get a bollocking! Oh and of course they take 3 days out of the office to attend talks about strike action and still get paid for it!

I can't comment on the MOD, never having worked there, but you probably have a point. Yes there are civil servants who do fcuk all day in day out, and there are others often in the same departments who work 60hrs a week whilst only being paid for 36hrs, suffer nervous breakdowns and end up medically retired on a pittance. I have been at both extremes, and currently enjoying doing just enough, bordering on bugger all,(much of my job is simply manning a control point or being a keyholder/storeman on a 24/7 shift basis) but I've been in other sections where I simply could not stop for a moment to 'consider the lilies of the field' and coped by downing litres of cheap vodka at the weekends. and that was when I was on the lowest pay at the lowest rank. Shit rolls downhill!

Its usually down to poor management, and their failure to secure proper resources for their staff. I've had managers for whom it is considered 'a badge of honour' to run a national agency on 2 staff, 3 bits of string and a bicycle!, whilst bullying their staff into topping themselves, turning them into alcoholics and generally ruining their physical and mental health. I have lost 3 colleagues to suicide because of the job, and know of several others who have (or are suspected to have) attempted it. This is not a good state of affairs and is hardly commensurate with a lot of layabouts who 'don't know how lucky they are etc;'.

I am not trying to equate the CS with the forces at all, but I am trying to point out the similar nature of the problems in the two organisations. Large organisations do tend not to be absolutely perfect employers for everybody

Is there no poor management in the Army then?

It not all tea and biccies in the CS anymore. That went out with flares, platform shoes and the Bay City Rollers. Try running to the union and they more often than not don't want to know and are inneffective in many govt offices anyway.

FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
I work shifts and some of colleagues may be partaking in this skive sorry strike and any shortfalls are to be covered with overtime. One of my colleagues has said that any one who comes in on overtime to cover for anyone who is striking is scum. Blew my fcuking lid. What the fcuk has it got to do with him if someone is doing the overtime? Nearly fell out big time. Just a general schimpff as is the right of your stereotypical exsoldier civil servant.

Cant cover shortfalls with overtime. there is an overtime ban. The management will not accept the overtime claims, as they have been directed by the cabinet office (probably?)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bat_Crab said:
Gun_Empty said:
BC - You must work in APC!

I don't, but I believe it is now part of the civil servant dress regs that you must possess one of the following:

- 'Comedy' cartoon tie.
- Slightly too short trousers.
- Elasticated waist trousers.
- Pony tail.
- Slip on shoes.
- Collar dandruff.
- Scraggy 'two-week' beard with crumbs in.
- Body odour.

Goatman, I presume you're ex-military and therefore smart, conscientious and professional :meditate:

As for your union rep, is he off with stress because some chap in a uniform was a bit brusque with him?

hmmm....thank you for the compliment..... I've been around the military long enough to aim off for the semi Retired Officer (LE) look ...you know:

- brown brogues, a little worn but polished
- khaki socks that match the shoes but not the trews
- Burtons 'smart but casual' trousers, remnants of a crease
- shirt by George with mismatched DESO/KGFS cufflinks
- Dark blue Marconi Underwater Systems ' Stingray' motif tie , gizzit
- Houndstooth check sports jacket (leather elbow patches optional) with an ARRSE/Combat Stress/LAND Command lapel pin
- Number 4 haircut with 'racy' Oldest Swinger sideburns

I haven't achieved the ultimate in RO chic yet - those jumbo corduroys in a vivid maroon or dog-sh1t yellow that say

' I'm out of the Army now, and I'll dress how I damn well like...and no, they're NOT jeans..."

Working hard on the other necessary accessories:
- severely clipped toothbrush moustache(Grey)
- Unblinking stare through the glasses that says:

" I didn't hear what you said, but if I stay silent and show no emotion for long enough with any luck you'll repeat it "

And my dear old Red Banner Shock Bde comrade is used to chaff from those sporting natty Belfast Tartan - comes with the turf.

It's having hassle from the , ahem, Running Dog Fascist Lackies of An Imperialist State e.g Borsetshire Constabulary that grinds him down.

" You is only harassin' me 'cos I is white innit !? "

peace y'all....nothing to see here.....please move along .....

Le Chevre

Intrepid

Swinger
I think there are probably too many civil servants and we could do with a few less. But I equally think that any reductions in civil service head count will not result in any savings for the tax payer because the money will go on consultants - who will cost more and then leave taking the knowledge and experience gained (that would have stayed with the organisation) with them.

Gun_Empty

Old-Salt
I am not trying to equate the CS with the forces at all, but I am trying to point out the similar nature of the problems in the two organisations.

What? Too many people with too little to do? Not in the last 10 years!

They're picketing the main gate for the day. What use is that, other than to provide amusement for the rest of us? You've got the day off so rather than lounging around the house in your shreddies eating Jaffa Cakes and Pot Noodle and watching Jeremy Kyle like any self-respecting person, you decide to freeze your knackers off standing outside the unit waving a placard that might as well have 'I'm a workshy tw@t' written on it. I may have to visit the armoury at lunchtime.

As predicted the only ones that haven't turned up today are the wasters who don't stand a chance of getting a job outside of the CS and add nothing to the organisation when they are in work. Business as usual then...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Still not biting Bats.....no picket line here, nor am I aware of any CS colleagues who have stayed out....are you sure you're not actually working in a Dept of Work and Sponging building on one of those hush-hush Hereford Hooligan 'secondment' programmes ? :)

Ommmmmmmmmm :meditate:

Le Chevre

Stephanie

War Hero
I am a civil servant on strike, i decided to go on strike cos the directors told us not to, because the public depend on us.

Id prefer a lie in.

but i do spend my strike day productively by posting on this fine forum.

jim30

LE
I was at a west country establishment and counted about 20 people on the gate - roughly 0.01% of the workforce. Judging by the size of them they spent so much time pie eating, they don't have time to work anyway.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Two disconsolate protesters outside MOD Main Building when I turned up this morning (usually work well away from there, had a briefing to go to).

Came out at lunchtime and they'd left their banners and wandered off...

Slightly_Nasty

War Hero
It sounds as if you work at the same place as me, Jim30. A barracks that rhymes with popcorn?
Any sympathy I did have with their plight evaporated when I got caught up in the traffic jam near the front gate on my way in. when I got closer, I could see they were blocking the road and 3 or 4 of them were trying to intimidate an extremely frightened looking woman in a car who had decided to turn up for work.
I gave them a blast on the horn, and two of the blokes left the picket line and came striding over to see who it was. They were trying to look hard as nails, but in reality they were just a couple of clowns who were old, fat and pasty looking.
The picket line eventually parted to let the woman in (but I'm cynical enough to believe that she won't be allowed to forget her betrayal in a hurry), the car in front of me lurched forward and got through before they could prevent it, and then it was my turn. I pulled up level with them, and gave them a real barrage; something along the lines of "get out of my way, because you're a bunch of fat useless c*nts and you're causing a huge f*cking traffic jam". yes I know it was immature, but it was fun to see the looks on their faces.
I have a lot of time for many of our civil servants, because they do sometimes have a thankless task, but I'm afraid there is an awful lot of deadwood amongst them too, especially their militant union reps.
So to the people who were picketing on the gate this morning I say this: you're a bunch of fat useless oxygen thieves, and if there hadn't been CCTV cameras there (which will prove my account of what happened, if you want to call me a liar), I could have quite cheerfully given you a good hard slapping. You think it's hard to threaten women alone in cars who just happen to disagree with you. Well some of you will know where I work; come and pay me a visit, and we'll see who can be the most intimidating.

I still think the MOD needs to be leaned - big time! Lets get McKinseys out of our workshops and LADs, and into the big offices in London. If there are no essential processes, get rid, any Muda (waste), get rid of that too. After all, LEAN is not just for engineers!

Latest Threads