Most Prestigious Regiment?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by bjid, Jan 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been perusing the forums and have come to the conclusion that traditionally the cavalry and guards regiments are the most prestigious.

However I was wondering if this has changed at all throughout the ages or perhaps is even correct in the first place.

If anyone could enlighten me regarding the more traditionally prestigious regiments and also the present, modern days ones. both in the opinions of the general public and within the military. If you could also mention those corps and regiments which may not be viewed with the same admiration.

define prestigious as you will. and I am not restricting this to just infantry and cavalry.
  2. Definitely REME
  3. Royal engineering made easy? Really? In overall honours probably the coldstreamers, but in recent conflicts probably the cav and the paras.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
  4. Most would totally hate this, probably good enough reason to name them!

Mucho respect to RAChD, and I don't care what badge

In the present the public I would say would probably choose the gentlemen of the CRE
  5. WTF?

the Cav haven't seen much action lately and what great things have the Paras done recently?

they failed their accreditation in Kenya before going to Afghan and they have made some serious fcuk ups out there on this tour - luckily the Royal Irish bailed them out.
  6. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

What are you talking about ?!
  7. Well there you have it - prestigious by what measure?

Success on operations? Regard in the eyes of the serving? The public (what do they know - what is crammed down their throats by media)?

Your criteria is not defined, so I can't really answer.
  8. As a former gentleman of the Royal Regiment of Artillery my vote must lean towards the "Gunners." They did teach me much of my short 40 year career!
  9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

10. RLC! Well certainly when I was in. If you don't think that you are the best what's the point?
  11. The RGBW obviously, laid to rest as a regiment and formed into 1, 6 and 7 Rifles :)
  12. Now if we were in a NAFFI there'dbe a ******* huge bitch fight right now all except the RLC they know their ******* place!
  13. Corps of Army Music. Getting paid to rock!!!
  14. Utterly pointless question unless you define the metrics by which you measure prestigiousness (if that's even a word). It is completely subjective.

Having said that if having a brace of princes of the realm serving as officers is an indicator, you are probably looking at the Household Cavalry (at least until one defected to a rather scruffy paramilitary airways). Otherwise most civilians have heard of the Parachute Regiment and the SAS and I notice that RLC officers are occasionally referred to in the popular press as "logistics expert Capt ...... from the elite Royal Logistics (sic) Corps".
  15. There is a reason the there is an order of march I must slip in there! It depends what you mean by Prestigious, if owning land and having the record for the most doubled barreled names - Yep The Household Cavalry is up there!
    But no they don't do much the Old Cav, at least 5 tours of Afghan, before then Iraq, NI, Kosovo, Bosnia (UN & NATO), unless your talking about the RAC as a whole which does cover 10 regiments.