• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Most Prestigious Regiment?

I have been perusing the forums and have come to the conclusion that traditionally the cavalry and guards regiments are the most prestigious.

However I was wondering if this has changed at all throughout the ages or perhaps is even correct in the first place.

If anyone could enlighten me regarding the more traditionally prestigious regiments and also the present, modern days ones. both in the opinions of the general public and within the military. If you could also mention those corps and regiments which may not be viewed with the same admiration.

define prestigious as you will. and I am not restricting this to just infantry and cavalry.

Most would totally hate this, probably good enough reason to name them!

Mucho respect to RAChD, and I don't care what badge

In the present the public I would say would probably choose the gentlemen of the CRE

Royal engineering made easy? Really? In overall honours probably the coldstreamers, but in recent conflicts probably the cav and the paras.
WTF?

the Cav haven't seen much action lately and what great things have the Paras done recently?

they failed their accreditation in Kenya before going to Afghan and they have made some serious fcuk ups out there on this tour - luckily the Royal Irish bailed them out.

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
WTF?

the Cav haven't seen much action lately and what great things have the Paras done recently?

they failed their accreditation in Kenya before going to Afghan and they have made some serious fcuk ups out there on this tour - luckily the Royal Irish bailed them out.
What are you talking about ?!

Well there you have it - prestigious by what measure?

Success on operations? Regard in the eyes of the serving? The public (what do they know - what is crammed down their throats by media)?

Your criteria is not defined, so I can't really answer.

Utterly pointless question unless you define the metrics by which you measure prestigiousness (if that's even a word). It is completely subjective.

Having said that if having a brace of princes of the realm serving as officers is an indicator, you are probably looking at the Household Cavalry (at least until one defected to a rather scruffy paramilitary airways). Otherwise most civilians have heard of the Parachute Regiment and the SAS and I notice that RLC officers are occasionally referred to in the popular press as "logistics expert Capt ...... from the elite Royal Logistics (sic) Corps".

There is a reason the there is an order of march I must slip in there! It depends what you mean by Prestigious, if owning land and having the record for the most doubled barreled names - Yep The Household Cavalry is up there!
But no they don't do much the Old Cav, at least 5 tours of Afghan, before then Iraq, NI, Kosovo, Bosnia (UN & NATO), unless your talking about the RAC as a whole which does cover 10 regiments.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There is a reason the there is an order of march I must slip in there! It depends what you mean by Prestigious, if owning land and having the record for the most doubled barreled names - Yep The Household Cavalry is up there!
But no they don't do much the Old Cav, at least 5 tours of Afghan, before then Iraq, NI, Kosovo, Bosnia (UN & NATO), unless your talking about the RAC as a whole which does cover 10 regiments.
The HCav's sterling operational record is neatly balanced by that of the 3/4 prancers.

Socially, the Household Cavalry and the Guards (particularly the Grenadiers and Coldstream) are probably the most prestigious. The Paras are still the most prestigious infantry regiment, whatever the Rifles may claim. Other than that, any unit that requires some form of arduous test generally has some prestige attached to it: 4/73, 29 RA, 7 RHA, 24 RE, 9 RE and several others. This completely ignores the various brands of SF (SAS, SRR, 18 Sigs, RAF Regiment, etc.) which obviously carry a huge amount of prestige.

If you're looking for the most prestigious Regiment then you are making decisions about your future on the wrong grounds. Sure, pick a Household Division Regiment for the tie but you need to be certain that you will get on with the other officers in the mess. The Parachute Regiment also has a unique style of mess life (allegedly) so you need to make sure that you are comfortable with that. Alternately, you may fit best in a Regiment that is in the grey area between these two extremes so do be sure to shop around.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So you admit that the Life Guards are the second best Regiment in the army, after the Royal Horse Artillery (well, King's Troop complete w/guns)?

The finest Regiment in the British Army. We are the most operational Regiment since WWII.

Faugh A Ballagh

[video=youtube;McEh9mRTgUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEh9mRTgUY[/video]

Why not just do it on precedence with everyone on parade (colours et al) and see the RHA at the Right of the Line!

Horse!

GBTD

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
Twitter: @goatbagthedruid

Latest Threads