Most physically challenging infantry regiment

Something you’ve all heard a million times I expect so I can only apologise for this thread.

I have a PRAC on the 20th of Jan but that’s then and up until last week when because of personal and professional issues I quit my job on a building site. It was a good job but I clashed heads with a new Site Manager so I jacked it (commonplace in construction) and didn’t look back.

Today I went out to ask other sites for a job but as soon as I got to one I just didn’t have the heart to go through it all for what would feel like the hundredth time. About to have lunch with the missus and then go to my AFCO which is 5 mins from where I’m currently sitting and ask for Catterick as soon as poss.

My AC score was a high A and I completed the 1.2miles in 7.18 so I know I’m fit enough for Infantry phase 1, hence the PRAC. I rang the recruitment hotline and they told me I probably wouldn’t get an earlier one and that stings a bit.

I want to be a paratrooper or at the very least earn my wings and get that maroon beret but I really can’t stomach “civvie street” jobs anymore, not when I want to apply myself and actually use my brain for a job that means something.

Which is all why I wanted to ask that apart from the Paras which is the most physically intense and challenging infantry training in the Army?

I’ve heard the Anglians are so if anyone has any input I’d really appreciate it.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
How about: Get in, pass Phase 1-3 training as a Para, get some time in and get ALOT fitter, then try for SF 'Selection'.

Friend of mine used to be Divisional Sergeant Major, Senior Wing, Brecon.

He reckoned the fittest blokes on the courses he was involved with came from units that weren't armoured infantry type units.

Regardless of capbadge, any job in support weapons - mortars,machine guns, anti tanks - will see you carrying a ton of kit and be physically very demanding.

I would say that “most physically intense and challenging” is what you make of it. You seem highly motivated. If you keep your ears open and mouth closed you should have a good run in any regiment or corps.
Get basic done, get to your battalion/regiment and work it out from there.
Good luck!

Irrespective of fitness levels, you should be aware that you will have personality clashes with bosses in the army as well.
Very good point and some of those bosses may be younger and far more gobby than you and you will not be able to clash and jack it in. (well maybe just the once!!!)

Seriously, the grass isn't always greener. I don't know you but you may well have to wind your neck in and just get on with it - especially during basic.

morsk

LE
With a background in building, why not try for para engineer? Best of both worlds. Good luck with whatever you choose. You will never look back mate.

Very good point and some of those bosses may be younger and far more gobby than you and you will not be able to clash and jack it in. (well maybe just the once!!!)

Seriously, the grass isn't always greener. I don't know you but you may well have to wind your neck in and just get on with it - especially during basic.
The way I look at it those lads (younger than me or not) have more than earned the right to gob off to me. They’re there partly to do that to get the best out of me and the other lads. Just my thinking but that’s a world of difference to a construction site boss gobbing off. More than done my time working for people like that - they don’t reward hard work and all they care about is money so good luck getting your money up.

I was looking at surveyor engineer and then 9 Para I believe it is. It just takes a long time to do some of the engineer training and really I want to do the gritty infantry stuff if I ever get a chance.

Went down to the AFCO and the blokes calmed me down a bit made me realise that really January isn’t too far away I can put up with the b*llocks for a bit longer and who knows maybe they’ll call me for an earlier PRAC date should there be dropouts.

I’ve taken from these replies that every regiment is what you make of it which makes sense really.

Thanks everyone. Look forward to a time I can be giving advice instead of always asking questions!

Thanks everyone. Look forward to a time I can be giving advice instead of always asking questions!

Good luck.
As an aside, survey engineer may be too useful to move to 9 Para. I am out of date in this. I was a survey engineer and clerk of works (CoW military is a project manager, not a quality checker) in an STRE (V).

There is also the option of 24 Commando where you would probably get to combine all your skill sets.

OP. Before you get carried away. Anyone talking about independent RE Sqns is a bit behind the curve.
23 Regt are affiliated to the Para people, 24 Regt are likewise affiliated to the Commando tribe.
As ever, do your homework before you take any life-changing decisions.
Good luck!

RAF Regiment.

Latest Threads