most out-of-spec firearm/ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Jul 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering why my SIG P226 was leading like a bar steward with "to spec" cast ammunition (.356"). Much to my surprise, after measuring the barrel it is .357" groove-to-groove, i.e. .002" over specification -- and this is a modern firearm!

Also, the groove-to-groove (and throat) measurement of my No.4 is .318", whereas "standard" (as if there is such a thing...) is .313", i.e. 0.005" over specification -- and the barrel has no signs of throat wear, so is practically new!

Can anyone beat either of those for out of specification-edness?
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why don't you just buy commercial jacketed ammo at <Euro 150 per 1000 and stop being such a tightwad..... ;-)

I have noticed the < (less than) symbol appears not to work.
  3. It's not that I'm being a tightwad, it's that I derive some bizarre pleasure from doing it! The breakeven point on all my casting/sizing equipment is going to be tens of thousands of rounds anyway, so the reason for doing it surely isn't financial...

and you can't get factory of any quality up here for 150 per thousand anyway -- it's pushing closer to the 200 mark
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Going to be more than that as apparently you have purchased the wrong size........ ;-)

Do you make your own primers too?
  5. Yes, it was another 30 euros to purchase a .358" sizer, the cost of about 165 rounds of factory. Hardly the end of the world.

I'm looking forward to my 170 grain .321&#8221; RCBS mould so that I can get my No.4 running at more than rimfire velocity. Chances are I got the wrong size sizing die for that as well, but you never know until you try it (it SHOULD be correct, since it is throat sized, but knowing my luck it will want to be .001&#8221; bigger, and we are talking custom dies at 45 dollars here...)
  6. So where do you get ammo for less than € 150.00 per thousand? I can't find anything under € 170.00.
  7. try putting the headspace gauges through a batch of brand new rifles my old boss had imported from china.
    now that made him bitch and squeal like a dumped schoolgirl. I had to set the barrels back on all of them and rechamber.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

9. I seem to remember that service Brownings were a bit loose, the Canadians called theirs, washing machines because John Inglis, the manufacturer, made washing machines and the pistols rattled like one. Ours were not much better, the barrels were about .357
  10. I remember my old Inglis Browning with great fondness - it was the first 9mm semi-auto pistol that I ever bought - refinished in that odd brown colour. It shot well, didn't jam and I won my heat of Service Pistol at our local club derby - no great shakes but it made me feel good.
    Rumour had it that Inglis made them out of steel from re-cycled railway tracks - probably another one of those urban myths....
  11. A group of us were having difficulty sourcing "good" target rifles. Mrs GB and I decide to take the route of purchasing top-grade benchrest barrels from Shilen, for fitting to a target action by a local gunsmith.

Unfortunately, he was used to benchrest shooters, and chambered them quite tightly. Now while the benchrest types will fire a group and clean it, a 3P match will typically involve 150rds. On a warm day, by the end of the match, I was having to hit the bolt handle to open it; it didn't group that well, either... Not the best result for £750 spent.

The happy ending was being coached by a gunsmith. He had a look at what was by then my "backup" barrel and action, and offered to rechamber it. After rechambering, I dragged it along to my next ammunition batch selection at the Eley factory; after spending all day trying to get something decent for my old barrel, I compared my selections in the newly-rechambered Shilen; to find that the groups improved from 15ish mm edge to edge (average of four different 10 round groups at 50m, out of a vice) to 13ish mm. The only problem in the three weeks to that year's big competition was coping with an eight-inch sight base extension, and a barrel that was nearly a kilo heavier. It worked, mind, and I'm still using it nine years later...