Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Most "opposed" to family in Army

I am am an ex squaddie, i have quite recently lost my husband in afghanistan and i have 2 very young children. I will let my children decide what they want to do and not push them into anything but i would be very proud and supportive if iether of them (boy and girl) would join the forces. I am obviously aware of the dangers they could face but we all face similar dangers in recent times just walking in the street and standing up for ourselves. at least in the forces they learn morals, loyalty and pride in the great jobs they do.

cav_sig I am so sorry your family has been torn apart and hope that you are being given proper support.
Although having served 30 years myself and loved every minute, I have seen enough to have concerns that if my sons were injured that they would receive appropriate levels of support.
I dont mean Selly Oak or Headley Court but the inability of a government to admit things change, put your hand up and admit mistakes and most of all right the obvious wrongs. Of course I am thinking about compensation.
I am so disappointed that whilst both wish to serve and I will help them, I wouldn't be upset if they failed to make the grade.

I don't think its joining thats the problem, its the aftercare of crippled and severely wounded soldiers and Pensions for most Ex Soldiers are paltry are the things that shook the public faith in the military convenent given recent event which most of you are well aware.

also many will struggle to get on the property ladder once they leave, I have a relative in the Army, (recently discovered and met, not seen him for 20 years) he will be leaving in 2 years time and will probably struggle to get on the property ladder, homes for ex soldiers scheme could be set up like a military colony for retired Roman Soldiers, a community style housing estate for them.

I joined at 16 and stayed in the army to age 40. Yet I was anxious that my son did not join up. It is not because I don't support the armed forces, it is because I am angry at the treatment given to them by the government.

Military hospitals closing. Housing that is considered inadequate for refugees. Willing to spend more on unjust prosecutions of soldiers than the body armour to protect them. Low pay etc.

The army is probably one of the finest organisations this country has. It deserves better treatment and until it gets it I would not encourage anyone to join. Should my son go in I would support him and be proud though. I just hope he doesn't, a tad contradictory I suppose.

cav_sig I am sorry for your loss.
Serving one's country is a special calling. Its not for everyone. But the thin red line has been all that has stood between its enemies and its citizens. Some people say that they wouldnt serve unless the country was faced by a Hitler. Sadly todays threat comes from stateless zealots that are determined to force everyone to believe as they do. Recently we have seen terrorists rounded up in Denmark and Germany. I dont see this going away any time soon. If you are waiting til you see the real danger then you will be too late and you will thank your god for those who now risk their lives - for you.

I will be very proud for any of my girls to join the armed forces. My youngest although only 14 has been in the Army cadets since she was 12 is adament she wants to join as an RMP and although myself and friends who are in the Army have told her what to expect going in as an RMP, that is what she wants to do. I really don't think she will change her mind if it was any of my older 2 girls then yes I would say it was a faze they were going through but she has a count down even now to when she can join. I just hope she will be able to achieve what she wants to do as she is slightly dyslexic on a scale of 0 -5 she is 1.5 at risk and I fear that will hold her back from joining the RMP's, I hope not as she will be gutted. Although my Dad would of been very proud of her joining the Army if he was here today I'm not so sure he would of wanted her to go the way she wants to go as he was a Royal Engineer and mainly on the wrong end of the RMP's whenever he came across them!
But getting back on track despite the risks our armed forces face today I will be very proud of any of my children who wished to join and serve their country.

I think it's possible to over analyse things. The main reason, in my opinion, that parents would not support their children joining (but almost invariably support them once they have) is simply because servicemen are getiing killed and injured and no parent wants their children to take those risks. A secondary problem is that the time when almost everyone had some experience of military life have gone. It is over 40 years since the end of National Service so the generation who's children are now of joining up age did not ,in the main , do service and therefore don't know of the good side. My father and grandfather, two brothers and sundry cousins and uncles all did time in the forces , as did I, but I would be unhappy about my lads if they were of that age joining now but in fact was reasonably happy for them both to join up in the 80s.

I will fully support any of my girls but I realise it will be my youngest who will no doubt serve her Queen and you can all kick me in the arse if she does'nt! There is still some good kids out there and despite the risks that cross our armed forces these days , she knows and tellls me even at this young age, for gods sake Mum I have just as much chance of being killed on the street!
Never a truer word spoken eh??

kernowpuss said:
I will fully support any of my girls but I realise it will be my youngest who will no doubt serve her Queen and you can all kick me in the arse if she does'nt! There is still some good kids out there and despite the risks that cross our armed forces these days , she knows and tellls me even at this young age, for gods sake Mum I have just as much chance of being killed on the street!
Never a truer word spoken eh??

No comment.

Kernowpuss-Only thing is, unless you live in Nairobi, no one is TRYING to run you over, etc. at home in civvy street...not quite how it works in sandy places apparently...

Dudders

Ha, no luckily avoided that...I do indeed live in the UK...I get your point about conditions here, and street crime etc. ( I believe that's what you meant) but I don't think you can honestly compare the two situations. Having said that I completely agree with your sentiment re: joining and service!

Dudders (still looking over my shoulder for matatu drivers...)

I wouldn't force my two to join, although Mini-Pies Mk1 is already being taught the rudiments of drill. If they expressed an interest, I'd go through all the pros and cons and let them make their own decision. If they decided for, I'd support them (and be intensely proud) - if they decided against, I'd support them (and be secretly quite disappointed)

ugly said:
sandy_boots said:
My son intends to join the RAF. His choice (certainly not mine- imagine the shame) and he has my total support. If he changes his mind to persue a career as a florist or hairdresser he would still receive 100% support and encouragement.
They are RAF jobs arent they?

I think there was an RAF ace during WW2, who joined up before the war began, who when asked by his aunt what he was doing for a living, he replied, 'I'm a piano player in a parisian brothel, Auntie' because he was too embarrassed to tell her he was an Officer in the RAF. :D