Most Obsure war?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just come across the "Second Anglo-Mysore War" on wikipedia and, up to five minutes ago, I didn't even know that there had been a "First Anglo-Mysore War"

Second Anglo-Mysore War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Therefore, my question is, who can name the most obscure war in history?

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

3. Those were the days when we had a proper foreign policy.

And a Navy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. And we made them pay for the privilage of being shelled if IIRC?

My favourite is the Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years War between the Scilly Isles and the Netherlands. No fucker got hurt cos no-one was that fussed about it.

5. The Pig War.
    Although not exactly a war but a short confrontation/border dispute.
    Took place in Canada in the 1850's between the British Empire and USA.
    Yanky farmer slaughtered a poor innocent Canadian pig and things esculated from there. No human blood spilt during the entire episode although the US came away with the disputed land and a few bacon sarnies.

6. The Toyota war. Chad v Libya. Chad forces used "technicals" built mainly on Landcruiser utes. Libyans copped a hiding iirc.

7. Sennelager Naafi, 1974. England v Scotland, the run up lasted from 1800hrs to 2245hrs
    The Battle lasted 17mins and resulted in a resounding win for the Argylls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

If you're going to be like that, it is not a famous war; famous would imply that everyone knows about it. The Second World War is an example of this phenomenon.

The Anglo-Zanzibar conflict is simply a war that holds a record, as well as being a shining example of how this country used to do things in a more glorious age when the world was run properly (by us) and foreigners were both happy and honoured to be shelled by such a professional organisation as the Royal Navy then was. Since this is in painful contrast with the shower in British politics today (and I shall make no mention of iPods), not only will the Anglo-Zanzibar war remain obscure, I expect all knowledge of it to be ruthlessly suppressed. This will make it even more obscure and reinforce my point further at the expense of yours.

9. Sweaties fighting amongst themselves whilst the English decided to follow more dangerous and rewarding pursuits and go whoring instead does not make for a resounding win.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Russia V Berwick-upon-Tweed war?

Berwick-upon-Tweed was officially at war with Russia for 110 years as the border town frequently changed hands between England and Scotland over the centuries it was usually referred to as a separate entity in all State documents. At the outbreak of the Crimean War, Britain declared war on Russia in the name of Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions. But when the war ended two years later in 1856, the Paris Peace Treaty omitted Berwick. So Berwick was technically at war with Russia until 1966 when a Soviet official, made aware of the situation, visited the town to declare peace.

• Like Like x 9
  11. FORMER_FYRDMAN

That, Sir, is truly world class trivia.

• Like Like x 4
  12. arent they still fighting the second world war?