Most motoring fun for £1500 (legal) ala Top Gear

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by thebutlerdidit, Aug 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heres a challenge in the spirit of Top Gear, given a budget of £1500, what would be the car that you would buy to provide the most motoring fun?

2. I did a Clarkson
    [​IMG]
    Though mine was red. Barking mad it was, I used to love drifting it in traffic. Remember, you can't call yourself a petrol head until you've owned an Alfa. ;)

3. Best one I ever had for that money was a 1983 Jaguar V12 XJS with a very unusual Lucas P-Digital injection system.
    Remove exhaust silencers, remove aircon compresor and modify the induction system to draw cold air from the front of the car. Ran close to 360bhp and consumed fuel on a par with the Ark Royal and tyres at a frightening rate.

Sadly the tin worm got it in the end. Most fun I've ever had for a few quid (in a car at least) If you want cheap high performance and old V12 Jaguar is the way to go, I think I paid £900 for it and ran it for a year or so until it was ruined.

Or go completely the other way and buy an old Range Rover, I've had 16 of them and loved each and every one :D
    Petrol costs have driven me to the verge of bankrupcy several times over the last 20 years :cry:

4. Bloody hell.
    Ive never spent more than £1000 on a car, and that is on the present one. A Rover 620ti Its fast enough (about 145) hasnt broken down, and all the toys work. Before that, the most was £600, but that was for a fire engine, with the idea of converting it to a camper van. It turned out to be more fun driving a fire engine for the summer

5. Inspired by Matty001:

[​IMG]

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

mate of mine picked up a decent 924 a while back for £1500 - it qualified for a classic policy so that was pennies, he was getting 30-35mpg out of it and was a very fun drive indeed.

7. Fcuk 'em all, get an RG500, about a grand now for a decent one.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

ah thats a dammed expensive suicide. God I remember when they came out amazing bit if kit.

9. If you're going there then may I suggest CR500 with some sticky rubber ;)

10. I'd go for a Peugeot 205 GTi, either 1.6 or of if you can get one a 1.9. Tons of fun to be had.

11. If you can get me a decent RG500 for a grand then I'll have three 8) ,
    rip out the engine , put it in an RGV 250 frame with a Stan Stephens tune and you have two stroke heaven

12. Read an article somewhwher to-day saying that Trabants were back in production.

13. Found one here :-

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/advert+search/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-9-12-240/advert.action?R=200930338534395&distance=52&postcode=GL52+8NL&channel=CARS&make=&model=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=1000&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1988&vehicleRegLetter=F

14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Telegraph, front page, bottom left.