Most Militarily inept nation

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Dec 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A recent discussion on all things Belgian got me to thinking that there can be few countries with such a dismal record of performance in war as Belgium. Granted they've only existed since 1830 but they don't seem to have ever actually won at all. Even the French haven't always been that hopeless.

Any other contenders?
  2. Well define inept? Our leadership over the last 100 years?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. If Scotland becomes independent, they will surely qualify. The welfare state which has developed to keep Jakies in Buckfast has to be paid for somehow.
  4. Back in 2000 I did the French Commando course in Givet in the Ardennes with our Recce troop. Also there at the same time doing the course were about 30 Belgian Para Commandos from a close Recce platoon. (A guess, but all their rank slides had a vertical black snake through the middle). Anyways, long story short, they were fit as ****, completely batshit crazy, and possibly the most professional soldiers I've seen when it came to getting on ex in the field. I rate them very highly. On another note, I've no idea what your average Belgian squaddie is like, but as for the Para Commando guys, top class, great lads and BIG drinkers and party animals.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Belgium was invented as a European version of being behind the bike sheds, Neutral Territory for a kick off between the big lads. I would suggest Holland has a lesser performance level seeing as they brought the popcorn in the first unpleasantness and sat down early in the second unpleasantness.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The Dutch did pretty well in the Anglo-Dutch wars, ending in the invasion and conquest of Britain in 1688
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 14
  7. Costa Rica - no military forces.

There are others.
  8. Granted, I was considering 1830 onwards, just for fairness
  9. Why fight when you can drink, sounds damnably civilised to me
  10. Which nation was it that in 1879 lost against spears while equipped with breach loading rifles? Now that DOES take some doing.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Belgium has some of Europe's best beer, some of its most gorgeous women and many fine restaurants within the budget of the non-millionaire diner. That they concentrate on nurturing those attributes rather than in preparing to give Fritz a good kicking, is not currently an issue that much concerns me.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Totally crap soldiers the Belgians:
    Adrian Carton de Wiart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Good thing they make crap weapons, then.

Oh, err...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Lost the battle but won the war.
    with fighting odds of 25:1 then it doesn't matter if they're armed with bad breath, quantity has a quality all of its own.
    • Like Like x 5