Most memorable parachute jump

It was PASA. Comedy of errors. JM using borrowed gear so no hook knife, aircraft just in from maintenance so the one I kept in the side pocket had been removed by some genius and I was suffering from bottle fatigue that day so forgot the one I normally wore round my neck on a ball chain.

We ended up cutting the guy loose with a church key once we'd calmed him down by frantically waving him off every time he reached for the handles. In the time it took we climbed another 2000' so he eventually got dropped just over 5500' AGL. It was also his first dummy pull before doing his first freefall IIRC, so he skipped a couple of steps.

I carry one of these on a ball chain now if dropping parachutists, around the size of a dog tag...

9-263857.jpg

HE117

LE
Using the free hand to slap the one holding the ripcord to get all four pins out on a B4. Leaving the bungees unattached to give a smooth profile then having to use the elbows after pulling to dislodge the cones then drop a shoulder to free the hot dogs.

The complicated cutaway routine for getting rid of a PC (because of the shorter lines) and firing the belly wart reserve.

Starlite canopy, more maneouverable than a PC, more forward speed but opened so hard I know of a couple of people who dumped a coil in their shorts. Eventually had spider sliders fitted.

Paradactyl and Crossbow *shudder*.

Being stupid was great. I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to jump those things these days
Irvine Delta II Parawing...

double shudder!

haloman

Old-Salt
Irvine Delta II Parawing...

double shudder!
Ah, the Delta wing! With its multi coloured bunches of lines and wrap around velcro belt it even opened sometimes! I even witnessed one opening back to front. It made for an interesting landing by the victim.
One of our team members on the old Strongbow Skydivers had a Delta Wing. He loved it! He decided to change out the risers and Lofty Thomas made some up and posted them in time for a demo onto Edgar St. football ground in the centre of Hereford. Andy changed the risers on the Saturday morning and off we went to mount at Shobdon.
I was freefalling beside Andy. When we dumped at two and a half grand the Delta Wing opened beautifully. The canopy stayed where it was at 2500' while Andy continued downwards at terminal velocity!
A reserve opening later and Andy landed somewhere over near Widemarsh Common.
It turned out that in his haste Lofty had fitted the connector links but had only stuck the webbing down and forgotten to sew them!
To say he was mortified would be an understatement!
Great days!

HE117

LE
Ah, the Delta wing! With its multi coloured bunches of lines and wrap around velcro belt it even opened sometimes! I even witnessed one opening back to front. It made for an interesting landing by the victim.
One of our team members on the old Strongbow Skydivers had a Delta Wing. He loved it! He decided to change out the risers and Lofty Thomas made some up and posted them in time for a demo onto Edgar St. football ground in the centre of Hereford. Andy changed the risers on the Saturday morning and off we went to mount at Shobdon.
I was freefalling beside Andy. When we dumped at two and a half grand the Delta Wing opened beautifully. The canopy stayed where it was at 2500' while Andy continued downwards at terminal velocity!
A reserve opening later and Andy landed somewhere over near Widemarsh Common.
It turned out that in his haste Lofty had fitted the connector links but had only stuck the webbing down and forgotten to sew them!
To say he was mortified would be an understatement!
Great days!
Yes, I remember that one...

... I may have mentioned it to Lofty!

One of our team members on the old Strongbow Skydivers had a Delta Wing. He loved it!
My first weeks of skydiving had me at Z-Hills for the 1980 Easter Boogie (just about graduated to free-fall), and perpetually agog - there was a guy at that boogie jumping one of those. He loved it too. Even thop' (IIRC) it would occasionally open in such a way that steering was reversed, so the driver would have to use left toggle to turn right . . .

There was another guy (I never found out who he was), who had shitloads of air time, doing all kind of Big Ways but jumping a Double-L in a Wonderhog (or some such). He'd carry his packing stakes with him, land wherever-the-fvck the spot/wind combo placed him, pack the canopy where he landed and then sprint with the speed of a thousand gazelles back to manifest for his next load. . . . .

HE117

LE
My first weeks of skydiving had me at Z-Hills for the 1980 Easter Boogie (just about graduated to free-fall), and perpetually agog - there was a guy at that boogie jumping one of those. He loved it too. Even thop' (IIRC) it would occasionally open in such a way that steering was reversed, so the driver would have to use left toggle to turn right . . .

There was another guy (I never found out who he was), who had shitloads of air time, doing all kind of Big Ways but jumping a Double-L in a Wonderhog (or some such). He'd carry his packing stakes with him, land wherever-the-fvck the spot/wind combo placed him, pack the canopy where he landed and then sprint with the speed of a thousand gazelles back to manifest for his next load. . . . .
... only beaten by the tw@t packing his rig in 40T on the way up!

I think I may have mentioned him before.. para flip flops and a Polystyrene tile tied on with break cord as a helmet to keep Hooper satisfied..

Turned up on a night jump with a candle in a jam jar...!
40tango2.jpg

... only beaten by the tw@t packing his rig in 40T on the way up!

I think I may have mentioned him before.. para flip flops and a Polystyrene tile tied on with break cord as a helmet to keep Hooper satisfied..

Turned up on a night jump with a candle in a jam jar...! View attachment 684031
"Soss" or "Sauce" IIRC.

Was that the candle stunt on the same night jumps where the Brazilian guy did a solo exit, hit the leading edge of the port tailplane with his head, and was found (dead, obviously) in a farmer's field the next morning?

HE117

LE
"Soss" or "Sauce" IIRC.

Was that the candle stunt on the same night jumps where the Brazilian guy did a solo exit, hit the leading edge of the port tailplane with his head, and was found (dead, obviously) in a farmer's field the next morning?
Yep.. I think that was him..

Don't remember any dead Brazilians.. we did however drag a Frenchman with his jumpsuit leg jammed in the door..

Dec79/Jan80

HE117

LE
Skinny guy, with a beard and ponytail ?

Damn good skydiver and load organiser, if I remember rightly.
Harvey (Ho) Soss...

Died in a motorbike accident in 2000!

Harvey (Ho) Soss...

Died in a motorbike accident in 2000!

I recognise his face - but that is not the guy I was thinking of.

Sox ( Socks ? ) was the chap I thought you meant, a Z Hills Loadie - skinny, blond beard, ponytail.

(I was chatting to Jim Hooper 4 or 5 years back btw.
He had come 'back to his roots' .
His ancestors were from Shaftesbury, Dorset.)

HE117

LE

Sox ( Socks ? ) was the chap I thought you meant, a Z Hills Loadie - skinny, blond beard, ponytail.

I think you are right.. blond and bearded..

Another character I recall from Z hills was Chet Poland.. anyone remember him! Weirdo that sold badges and "stuff"

Socks (?) was a total hippie. Stacked K-mart shelves (by night, I guess) so he could eat, and lived to skydive.

Soss was one of The Herd (founding member, I suspect)

As for Hoops - roots, my arse: he could see the way US society was (is) going, and was looking for somewhere English-speaking and less divided, would be my guess.

But it's no more than a guess. Must be more than 30 years since I spoke to him. He was just recovered from GSW to his leg(s) sustained in Angola, and turned up at Nethers.

Another character I recall from Z hills was Chet Poland.. anyone remember him! Weirdo that sold badges and "stuff"
I met him on Day 1 at Z-Hills (I'd just abut had time to shuck off my winter clobber - we'd started our journey from NI in late Feb, ISTR, in BAOR, or NI where warm clobber was a 'must') stepped outta the cab from Tampa airport, and there he was.

He was ex-Airborne, ancient, a widower, lived in an old airstream trailer, and hung around Z-Hills for the company. Nothing weird about Chet, he was just old and enjoyed the company of skydivers.