Most memorable parachute jump

They weren´t civilians. The parachute packers were WAAFs. One of them was a corporal. (And I do know that there are people on this site who don´t believe that the RAF is a military organisation). This was back in the days when parachute packer was an RAF trade for women only. From what I´ve read on here parachutes are packed by contract civvies nowadays.

Did anyone else notice the class of black students standing in the lower foreground during the exit training scene in the hangar? I guess these were Commonwealth personnel that were being trained up.

Anyone spot the lass with her PJI helmet worn back to front prior to entering the ballon cage?

As for the Commonwealth student group - they were most likely potential instructors for their own para school in Kenya, Nigeria or Ghana. We had a team of instructors based in Gil-Gil ( Kenya) before it was closed down in the early '70's.

I expect these guys will list this one as per the thread title:

E.T.A. Have a screenshot to whet your interest:
Opps.jpg

I found this one just now, from Norman Kent. I'm hoping it will play from here, 'cuz my favourite little Fred is front and centre, less than 2 seconds in:

Eddie from 2 Para.
I last saw him about 5 years ago at a funeral - he had come over from Las Vegas and spends most of his time skydiving or hunting in the Nevada hill country.
Still a laugh a minute.

Oyibo

LE
Eddie from 2 Para.
I last saw him about 5 years ago at a funeral - he had come over from Las Vegas and spends most of his time skydiving or hunting in the Nevada hill country.
Still a laugh a minute.

Eddie C?

I found this one just now, from Norman Kent. I'm hoping it will play from here, 'cuz my favourite little Fred is front and centre, less than 2 seconds in:

It's interesting, for a group of people who are ostensibly mad/crazy/wild, they are actually very disciplined in the air.

It's interesting, for a group of people who are ostensibly mad/crazy/wild, they are actually very disciplined in the air.
If you're not you die.

Or others won't let you jump with them, because (at worst) you may kill them.

At best you will fvck up a skydive that has cost others many days of their lives, and £$£$£ getting ready for a 'next level' challenge.

Found this a coupla days ago.

Link will start you at a point where the only intelligible words you can hear are a very shrill lady's voice loudly repeating (justifiably, as it turns out) "Holy Fvck!!"

It is, nevertheless worth rewinding to the beginning, if only to see Darwin in action.

Quite some years ago, I despatched a student on his BPC who had a similar happening, only he didn't operate his reserve. He got away with absolute minimal injuries considering all and returned on another course which he completed.

By that time I had been posted to Bradbury Lines and subsequently bumped into him at the Christmas bop - " Alec, last time I saw you I had some bad luck!! "
He departed some time later in the evening and was hit by a vehicle crossing the camp square.
@haloman - Sgt. Paddy O' Neil RIP ( Paddy passed away some years later having left the services )

HE117

LE
For some reason the name Bob Akraman(spelling?)popped into my head.
Who, Robert Sidney Acraman?

Not the Robert Sidney Acraman...
bob Acramen.jpg

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Quite some years ago, I despatched a student on his BPC who had a similar happening, only he didn't operate his reserve. He got away with absolute minimal injuries considering all and returned on another course which he completed.

By that time I had been posted to Bradbury Lines and subsequently bumped into him at the Christmas bop - " Alec, last time I saw you I had some bad luck!! "
He departed some time later in the evening and was hit by a vehicle crossing the camp square.
@haloman - Sgt. Paddy O' Neil RIP ( Paddy passed away some years later having left the services )
Oddly enough, the last time we met I ended up seriously smashed too.

Was your nickname Jonah ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We has a National Serviceman on his jumps course in Bloem whose main candled - shortly before St. Michael's Day.

He came all the way down in a solid position and was quite buggered up.
The CO later presented him with his wings in hospital.

The consensus amongst the 1Bn ouens was that he should have taken another cse as he'd obviously been sleeping through all the reserve drills.
The Roman Candle was sung many, many times that night.
:-D

Latest Threads