Most memorable parachute jump

90% of malfunctions are caused by bad body position or bad drills, or a combo of the two, so I'd vote for incompetent in the first instance, and thereafter lucky as fvck.

The 'lucky' bit being tempered somewhat by the fact that when the earth did rise up to smite him, he encountered roof tiles instead of a nice yielding fresh-ploughed field.

In the old days in Westonaria, there was an Italian bloke who who was into style and accuracy and didn't spikka da Eengleesh very beeg. Anyhow, there was an old truck used as a recovery vehicle if the spot was dodgy and anyone ended up in a neighbouring township. They'd sometimes go in mob handed to avoid lynchings.

One weekend Signore Tight Tuck was lobbed out of the Dak early on a bit of a shitty run in so as to allow the RW skygods to scrape their shit into one sock and get out the door by the time they were over the DZ. As a result thereof, he found himself over the township on a gusty day with nowhere to go on a PC. Ended up going through the roof of a house and interrupting a family at their lunch in a noisy manner. He looked around at the astonished faces and just as suddenly exited the building vertically through the roof as his canopy caught a gust and plucked him out.

Around that time the recovery pickup rolled up and he was dragged aboard before disappearing in a cloud of dust. A bit later someone arrived at the DZ to claim compensation which was paid out and off he went.

Shortly after someone else arrived and claimed compensation for the new roof. He was informed it had already been paid and went off in a sulk after a bit of shouting at the guys on the DZ. A few more rolled up over the course of the afternoon, all wanting to be paid out for their damaged roof and were told someone had already been there and had the money given to them. Lots of shouting ensued. No idea if the original claimant was indeed the offended party or if he was one of the others and managed to find the bloke and get his money.

In the old days in Westonaria, there was an Italian bloke who who was into style and accuracy and didn't spikka da Eengleesh very beeg. Anyhow, there was an old truck used as a recovery vehicle if the spot was dodgy and anyone ended up in a neighbouring township. They'd sometimes go in mob handed to avoid lynchings.

One weekend Signore Tight Tuck was lobbed out of the Dak early on a bit of a shitty run in so as to allow the RW skygods to scrape their shit into one sock and get out the door by the time they were over the DZ. As a result thereof, he found himself over the township on a gusty day with nowhere to go on a PC. Ended up going through the roof of a house and interrupting a family at their lunch in a noisy manner. He looked around at the astonished faces and just as suddenly exited the building vertically through the roof as his canopy caught a gust and plucked him out.

Around that time the recovery pickup rolled up and he was dragged aboard before disappearing in a cloud of dust. A bit later someone arrived at the DZ to claim compensation which was paid out and off he went.

Shortly after someone else arrived and claimed compensation for the new roof. He was informed it had already been paid and went off in a sulk after a bit of shouting at the guys on the DZ. A few more rolled up over the course of the afternoon, all wanting to be paid out for their damaged roof and were told someone had already been there and had the money given to them. Lots of shouting ensued. No idea if the original claimant was indeed the offended party or if he was one of the others and managed to find the bloke and get his money.
I dunno whether to larf or sigh/shake my head/roll my eyes heavenward in despair . . . . :???:

Here is a memorable parachute jump.

Not mine obviously.

Big celebration jump, and they had clothes on !?!?

Definitely not skydivers.

. . . . or mebbe it's just 'cuz it was organised by a churchgoing Ossifer . . . .

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
At the end of my TA BPC the course boss said something along the lines of "Remember this is the most highly trained and proficient you are ever going to be. Don't be complacent or you will get hurt". Similar to what my driving instructor said when I passed my test. Not jumping but still driving (!)

Last edited:
At the end of my TA BPC the course boss said something along the lines of "Remember this is the most highly trained and proficient you are ever going to be. Don't be complacent or you you will get hurt". Similar to what my driving instructor said when I passed my test. Not jumping but still driving (!)

He was actually very right.
That form of parachuting is a piece of piss.
You may have to wait for ages in uncomfortable, draughty places, then carry heavy loads into smelly aircraft.
The actual jump is usually a 'glad to get out' moment.
What happens on the ground after is another story.

D

Deleted 15653

I did two parachute jumps when I was a student, circa 1983/4, on the same day so I guess my most memorable is my first, followed closely by my last.

I regard parachuting in the way my nephew, a cargo pilot for Fedex describes flying. A good landing is defined as "One you can walk away from"

I did two parachute jumps when I was a student, circa 1983/4, on the same day so I guess my most memorable is my first, followed closely by my last.

I regard parachuting in the way my nephew, a cargo pilot for Fedex describes flying. A good landing is defined as "One you can walk away from"

The huge number of jumps some people have done is actually less significant than every individual who has chosen to do one.

And far, far less than any individual who has chosen to do another one.

Eventually a ' life or death' experience becomes a real thrill (with known outcomes if you or someone around you fcuks up badly.)

The huge number of jumps some people have done is actually less significant than every individual who has chosen to do one.

And far, far less than any individual who has chosen to do another one.

Eventually a ' life or death' experience becomes a real thrill (with known outcomes if you or someone around you fcuks up badly.)
Too deep for me, mate ! :-D

D

Deleted 166591

It may be of interest to some on this thread that members from across all Army Parachute Display Teams and Parachute Associations competed in the Armed Forces Parachute Competition at Netheravon yesterday.

It may be of interest to some on this thread that members from across all Army Parachute Display Teams and Parachute Associations competed in the Armed Forces Parachute Competition at Netheravon yesterday.

Did they get any jumps in ?
Weather was disgusting in Stockbridge area - 20 mins away

We got loads in, comp was done and dusted by Thursday morning.

Overall winners were RE
Hurrah for the CRE !
(#969 refers it started yesterday .)

No matter - delighted to hear the Sappers are doing well in this.
Good mates of mine created the environment where Skydiving could flourish in the RE.

Step forward Ian Rosen****e

Is this @CharleyBourne steering towards the sand pit on his BPC

FB_IMG_1627240777415.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Who was ever going to check if you carried out the Compulsory Count?
You mean you never had a PJI follow you down with a clipboard ?

Too deep for me, mate ! :-D

First jump requires a degree of testicular fortitude.
Second one usually a bit more for different reasons.
If you come back for a third - you are hooked.

From then on its irrelevant whether you have done 100 or 10,000.

Those first few have shaped your attitude for the rest of your life.