Most memorable parachute jump

Oyibo

LE
I would say this was a pretty memorable jump for this lad

Brit mil training in the USA, so i'm assuming either MAB/PF/PJI

Apparently he exited in an unstable position and when the main canopy messed up he cut away and his reserve deployed in twists. Two broken legs and a lacerated liver.

Good job the house owner didn't have a chip pan on the stove.

ETA: It was MFF and his main went into twists as did his reserve after he cut away.

Last edited:
My first - charity static job

1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, check...oh feck.

No canopy. Yank the risers, no reaction.

Look, locate, smash as the main popped open - apparently it had twisted and my yank on the risers was enough to untwist it, but slowly...

Still want to jump again, going to try and get paid for it though.

Apparently he exited in an unstable position and when the main canopy messed up he cut away and his reserve deployed in twists. Two broken legs and a lacerated liver.

Good job the house owner didn't have a chip pan on the stove.

ETA: It was MFF and his main went into twists as did his reserve after he cut away.
So he didn't have a good day out? Although his guardian angel appears to have deployed successfully on his landing ie he is still alive.

Oyibo

LE
So he didn't have a good day out? Although his guardian angel appears to have deployed successfully on his landing ie he is still alive.

It's a bit of a philosophical question over whether he was luck or unlucky!

I would say unlucky, unlucky, lucky.
90% of malfunctions are caused by bad body position or bad drills, or a combo of the two, so I'd vote for incompetent in the first instance, and thereafter lucky as fvck.

The 'lucky' bit being tempered somewhat by the fact that when the earth did rise up to smite him, he encountered roof tiles instead of a nice yielding fresh-ploughed field.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
90% of malfunctions are caused by bad body position or bad drills, or a combo of the two, so I'd vote for incompetent in the first instance, and thereafter lucky as fvck.
Not necessarily true in MFF. Weird exit practices and 1x or more additional bodyweight strapped on in various places will tend to **** with your position and drills at times. Not as simple as "relax and arch your back". Straps break, lines get tangled, etc. The risk profile and accident rate for MFF isn't higher because the blokes are incompetent or poorly trained, it's because the system is pushing the safety envelope with the parachuting drills to allow for safer tactical / people-are-trying-to-kill-you drills.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In skydiving probably, military freefall is a different animal.

Edit.
See #951 by Sarastro, above.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
You could point them in the direction of 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery. They are always looking for new recruits.

they must need pretty big parachutes.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not necessarily true in MFF. Weird exit practices and 1x or more additional bodyweight strapped on in various places will tend to **** with your position and drills at times. Not as simple as "relax and arch your back". Straps break, lines get tangled, etc. The risk profile and accident rate for MFF isn't higher because the blokes are incompetent or poorly trained, it's because the system is pushing the safety envelope with the parachuting drills to allow for safer tactical / people-are-trying-to-kill-you drills.
All of that is overlaid on the fact that very few MFF jumpers attain very high jump numbers, or the reflexes associated therewith.

That's not their fault, but the stats are the stats, irrespective of context.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Here is a memorable parachute jump.

Not mine obviously.

Latest Threads