Most memorable parachute jump

Tales of The Slipstream will make a change for them from Whitney Houston's back catalogue.
I'm reporting you to the RSPCA as soon as I hear you've inflicted on poor innocent horses, Whitney fvcking murdering Saint Dolly Of Parton's classic I Will Always Love You.

Do not for one moment think this is an idle threat - OK!‽

I'm reporting you to the RSPCA as soon as I hear you've inflicted on poor innocent horses, Whitney fvcking murdering Saint Dolly Of Parton's classic I Will Always Love You.

Fairy nuff. I have a feeling tomorrow will be an ABBA sort of day anyway.

And that's probably quite enough thread-drifting from me for one day.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
Spend days in remote locations full of caravans and campers waiting for the sky to clear, the wind to stop....

Watch videos of other people skydiving. See the film where all these weird beardy American skydivers climb out of, and all over a Beechcraft before falling off of it. See it so often that it doesn´t seem odd anymore. Watch the Wally Gubbins video so many times that you can remember all of the words to it, (not that there were many).

Have that f****** song that goes, "I´m on a skydive - Feelin´ alive", playing through your head as you drive home.

Look forward to the next weekend. "I´m on a skydive - Feelin´ alive".

Watch videos of other people skydiving. See the film where all these weird beardy American skydivers climb out of, and all over a Beechcraft before falling off of it. See it so often that it doesn´t seem odd anymore. Watch the Wally Gubbins video so many times that you can remember all of the words to it, (not that there were many).

Have that f****** song that goes, "I´m on a skydive - Feelin´ alive", playing through your head as you drive home.

Look forward to the next weekend. "I´m on a skydive - Feelin´ alive".

Skies Call .... that's all.

Oh, I thought it was a coded message for annal sex - with poor innocent horses.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Watch the Wally Gubbins video so many times
Wally Gubbins = Pete Reynolds. Pete was still a serving PJI when he made that series of videos, which did ruffle establishment feathers. I was on a 4-man RW competition team with him for a couple of years. He's still about in Far-Eastern places these days.

Spend evenings sitting quietly in strange bars next to airfields, listening to the Skygods talk about skydives, boogies, malfunctions and canopy relative work, whilst hoping that tomorrow´s weather will be good enough to let you do at least one static-line jump, so that you might, if it all goes well, progress on to dummy pulls.
Sounds like my experience at RAPA Bad Lipspringge almost exactly 30 years ago!

HE117

LE

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
The two guys from 21/23 on my TA refresher in 1993 were in the course photo. The two Gurkhas on the course were treated with the same respect as any other servicemen by both regular and TA soldiers in our barrack room.
Yeah I've seen SAS in other course photos (not just BPC) so not sure why they were excluded. And to be fair most people treated the Gurkhas well (why wouldn't you?). Just the usual couple of idiots who didn't. Can't remember whether they were T.A or regs on a refresher. I suspect the former. The Gurkhas were from the recce plt of which ever Gurkha Bn was in the air-landing role, pre-RGR. Their English was pretty poor but much better than my Nepalese. Just checked the photo and they are not in it either. I've a feeling they were completing jumps from an earlier course and had gone by the time we had the photo.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
If that had have happened. It would have come to the attention of the RSM PCAU first thing in the morning, with the brave women hitting Jock being off the course and probably facing a court martial on the criminal charge of assault.
Well did happen. I was dancing very badly about 10 feet away. Not condoning it and suprised as well it went no further both at the time and the next morning.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
Off thread: I just took a close-up look at your (excellent) avatar. :thumright:

Where did you get it?​
Cheers. It's from a long running comic strip called Charley's War which featured in a comic variously called "Battle", "Battle-Action" etc and which ran from 1975 to I think the late '80s. The strip ran from 1979 until the demise of the comic and followed a young soldier called Charley Bourne who joined up just in time for the Somme offensive. It's generally regarded as the best comic strip to appear in a British comic (war or otherwise) and was noted for its well researched script (Pat Mills) and the outstanding artwork (Joe Colquhoun). There has been a lot of revived interest in the British boys' comics genre in recent years with many strips being reproduced in book form, including Charley's War.
The avatar shows one of the many supporting characters, in this case Smith 70 who was a Vickers machine gunner and was noted for his pride in the technical intricacies of the black art of machine gunning and for never letting his long-suffering No2 (Young Albert) have a go firing it.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
colquhoun_cameo.jpg

Cheers. It's from a long running comic strip called Charley's War which featured in a comic variously called "Battle", "Battle-Action" etc and which ran from 1975 to I think the late '80s. The strip ran from 1979 until the demise of the comic and followed a young soldier called Charley Bourne who joined up just in time for the Somme offensive. It's generally regarded as the best comic strip to appear in a British comic (war or otherwise) and was noted for its well researched script (Pat Mills) and the outstanding artwork (Joe Colquhoun). There has been a lot of revived interest in the British boys' comics genre in recent years with many strips being reproduced in book form, including Charley's War.
The avatar shows one of the many supporting characters, in this case Smith 70 who was a Vickers machine gunner and was noted for his pride in the technical intricacies of the black art of machine gunning and for never letting his long-suffering No2 (Young Albert) have a go firing it.
Must be good:
1625133217384.png