Most memorable parachute jump

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jumpinjarhead, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been done or if this is in the wrong forum.

Hoping this will not attract all the para wannabes, what was your most memorable (fun or not) jump.

Don't hold back. :)

I think mine was jumping from the old OV-10 Bronco aircraft. Plane would go into a steep dive, abruptly pull up and the stick of 4 (a recon team) would slide out the rear of the fuselage due to the g forces exerted by the pull out.

for those unfamiliar with the airframe, check this beginning at 1:36/ What a fantastic airplane!

2. Only a sport jumper in my time, not wearer of beret ferocious, but some of mine stick in the mind. One was a three-way out of an Antonov AN2 at Weston with a University mate & an instructor I'd last met at Bad Lipp in the early '90s & first seen when I was a child & he was in The Trailblazers display team - D10,000 was a great bloke.

My favourite of all was also over Weston. It was the last lift of the day, the cloud was coming in and for some reason had left a big hole over the DZ. There was a bank of it from about 4,000-7,000 feet so on exit at 12,000 it was all bright & sunny, we then fell as if down a tunnel & then under the cloud it was starting to get dark & the lights were coming on on the M40. I swear when coming in to land I could hear the cans of beer being opened.

One which would have been memborable if winds hadn't gone over limit was supposed to be from the Hereford Hooligans' Augusta 109 which as I was still on front & back kit at the time so the despatch would have been interesting to get out of the door.

I try to forget the one when I was showing off on the flare & broke my scaphoid bone (although was allowed to keep on jumping in a splint when I showed I could use my cutaway) although that's a bit difficult as it aches ten years or so on!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I too used to enjoy civvie skydiving. I am sad to say this happened at the center where I often jumped when I lived in North Carolina---the epic tale of the importance of jumpmaster equipment checks. I quit the sport when it became inundated by the really "cool" people who jumped in shorts and flip flops.

4. I loved it, but sadly lacked any real talent so while I had a C-Licence (under grandfather rights) I never got beyond Cat 9. I fell like a homesick anvil & wasn't acrobatic enough for freestyle!

Still had some very happy times on the various DZs & met some very pleasant people before I decided to spend my cash on other things.
  5. Only did a few statics and then a free as a civvi. All memorable especially the last one when my main chute streamed. My how I laughed later. NOT.
  6. The opposite of the thread title. An entanglement (so I was told later) which I fixed but was rapidly followed by an epic container-heels-arrse-back of head landing. I woke up convinced I was back at school and if I was late stuffing the canopy into the green sack and tabbing off the DZ I would be beaten by the headmaster (again).No memory of the jump at all, simply being on the aircraft before standing up.Still robbed the final tie, tho.
  7. I have'nt jumped for just over a year now and the intended week of lobbing in April was cancelled because of a broken hand, so it'll have to be October instead.

I know what you mean about flip flops, or rather Teva sandals, there are lots in evidence at Deland and Zephyrhills. But, I have seen the occasional old bastards wearing pairs of much loved and carefully cared for Para Saut boots - that you just can't get anymore.

My most memorable was at Hinton, in January, snow on the ground, three layers of clothing, two headovers on pulled right up, one coffee too many and desperate for a piss, 1500' up on the approach and got caught in a wind that was blowing me enough to hold me static'ish for a while. Produced instant yellow snow on landing.
  8. Probably the one I never got to make in Russia, when the An-2 I was in had engine failure and we did a glide-landing that used up two-thirds of the airfield.
    Another good one was when one of the lasses at the club did her hundredth jump, and passed a bottle of champagne round in the back before jumping. The pilot had a swig too, which would have given the CAA heart failure if it had been UK.
    My first one was the best though - a straightforward 800 m static line jump with a D-5 from an Mi-8. It took me about a week to stop telling everyone about it, the adrenaline was coming out my arrse.
  9. I never had a reserve ride, but it got close once. I had graduated onto a brand new rather sporty canopy (after using things which were a bit like giant sofas) & was used to very quick deployments. One day I picked up a rig which had the same type of canopy, just older. First lob of the day I pulled, went for the count, had the feeling of being pulled upright and on “check canopy” saw what looked like a large bundle of yellow laundry burbling away above me.

I was just about to cut away when with an almost audible pop the thing deployed properly & my arrse stopped doing sixpence/half-a-crown. The next time I had one of these a large hole had been cut in the slider – the canopies had got so old & porous they needed extra airflow to open.
  10. I still recall my French boots:

11. The last one I ever did was into snow! The ground rush is the only indication of impending need to roll. Static line aero-conicals, never progressed onto these new fan dangled sports parachutes, did do para ascending years later, top fun, got to flare on landing which my knees thought was a bonus!

12. I would also add to the above, the 'racing driver' style goggles with the securing blue band that went across the outside of the helmet. You could flip out the plastic lens and substitute an alternative yellow coloured one. On certain face types, this model of goggle leaked air onto the face. It was not unusual to see folks adding an extra layer of foam around the nose bit to minimise watering eyes. They had a tendency to ice over on HALO descents. The introduction of the French made 'Lunette' bubble style was an improvement but not much. Then the sport para world introduced the type favoured by jockeys.
  13. Still have my Kroops goggles stored away with my alti & log books. Going to NZ to see MrsPlume's family at Christmas, wondering what there rules would be like about getting a lob in!
  14. I did a few descents from the rear of a commercial 747. It was a military related project. Owing to the space available, combined with the air speed this beast could safely throttle back to, it was necessary to design a tube gizmo which the jumper used to slide out of in hope of avoiding damaging the fuselage et al in the very turbulent and relatively higher slipstream. I'd never exited at such a 'high' speed before. It would have proved an interesting scenario had the canopy deployed in that force of airflow.

DB Cooper had a lot to answer for.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Excellent sport para scene in Kiwi land. You'll be fine.