Most infantry related Royal Engineer role?

ugly

LE
59 and 9 aren't typical! It takes a serious level of dedication to get that far for any rank!

chimera

LE
It was my understanding that officers only get 1-3 tours anyway, soldiers do the vast majority of the combat/technical roles while the officers just effectively manage their welfare?

My point is, you won't be doing much combat related stuff from what I've researched.
Your understanding is total bollox, and your point is total bollox, so I suggest you sharpen up your research, and talk to some real officers, and then reconsider your "understanding".

oppoStu

War Hero
Your understanding is total bollox, and your point is total bollox, so I suggest you sharpen up your research, and talk to some real officers, and then reconsider your "understanding".
The term 'correct me if I'm wrong' was implied with the question mark at the end of my first sentence. As anyone can tell from my profile, I'm not even in the army yet so it goes without saying to not take what I say as 100% gospel.

And FYI, my sources are from speaking to 'real' officers at AOSB and the insight days, not sure if my knowledge is more up to date than yours or if they are just incorrectly informing their future colleagues.

How about politely correcting me instead of jumping down my throat next time.

Thanks in advance.

p.s at least I tried to help the op.

Last edited:
p.s at least I tried to help the op.
By offering an ill informed opinion based on second hand information.

Unless you are:
A) In the Army
B) An Officer
C) An Officer with operational experience

Then please caveat your responses as such.

To the OP - Go on a fam visit. It is predominantly about the job but its also about where you feel most comfortable.

Look at the qualification structure; an officer in the Engineers can't obtain professional industry related qualifications due to lack of practical experience, they can only obtain leadership / human resource management qualifications with the option for further academia.
A Geo officer in the Engineers certainly can obtain professional industry related qualifications.

What I said is backed up from a multitude of personalities, half of which are officers that were fed false information from the likes of recruitment staff and other AOSB staff.

An officer doesn't do a soldier's job.

Look at the qualification structure; an officer in the Engineers can't obtain professional industry related qualifications due to lack of practical experience, they can only obtain leadership / human resource management qualifications with the option for further academia.

A soldier can obtain a professional qualification due to practical experience.
Are you

A) In the Army
B) An Officer

Professional Engr is a role for an Officer within the CRE.

oppoStu

War Hero
A Geo officer in the Engineers certainly can obtain professional industry related qualifications.
Geo is similar to the Intelligence corps where the responsibilities of a soldier / officer are similar due to the calibre of soldiers joining, they have similar selection processes also. Again, something I was told at AOSB.

oppoStu

War Hero
Are you

A) In the Army
B) An Officer

Professional Engr is a role for an Officer within the CRE.
That's like saying if you aren't in politics you can't discuss Brexit.

Oh wait, you argue based on research and second-hand information don't you.

That's like saying if you aren't in politics you can't discuss Brexit.

Oh wait, you argue based on research and second-hand information don't you.
No, but on a thread specifically dedicated to Army Officer recruitment, where a poster is looking for advice it does help if you're actually an Army Officer.
All you are offering is second hand anecdotes and a quick trawl of the British Army website.

For example, can you tell me what the recruitment process is like for officers, or what it's like to go through the RSB process, or what a YO course is like?

oppoStu

War Hero
For example, can you tell me what the recruitment process is like for officers, or what it's like to go through the RSB process, or what a YO course is like?
1. Sign up on the army website via Register - British Army Jobs
2. Get assigned a CSM (candidate support manager)
3. Fill out all the questionnaires, health, family, work experience etc etc.
4. Get invited to Sandhurst for an officer insight day
5. Get invited to Westbury for your first medical
6. Fill out your AOSB CV (CSM gives template to you)
7. Get invited to Westbury for your AOSB briefing, few days performing, physical (beep test, pushups, situps and obstacle course) and mental tests (numerical, verbal and abstract reasoning) including some command tasks, planning exercises (individual and group), as well as a current affairs discussion within your group. Result is a category grade; 1 - pass, 2 - deferred pass, 3 and 4 fail but that doesn't stop you attending main board.
8. Get invited to Westbury for your AOSB main board (only get 2 attempts). All the same stuff as above including a few interviews and individually led command tasks. Pass/fail depending on their risk assessment of you.
9. Go to Sandhurst.

Did I miss anything regarding the officer recruitment process?

oppoStu

War Hero
@Ninja_Turtle It's worth noting I have literally lived through what I have just typed at the beginning of this year, so you cannot doubt my knowledge on what the "recruitment process is like for officers".

@Ninja_Turtle It's worth noting I have literally lived through what I have just typed at the beginning of this year, so you cannot doubt my knowledge on what the "recruitment process is like for officers".
But you're joining as a...?

Like I said, officers get a few tours but pale in comparison to the amount soldiers get.

And if you look at the list of British Forces casualties in Afghanistan you will see that the vast majority are soldiers, not officers with most of the officers serving in PARA or SRS etc.

My comment was generalising the fact that if you want a combat role in the army, the officer route isn't it.
If you do the maths there are a lot less officers trotting around and of the casualties in Afghan a good number were officers I gave up counting after 50.

Last edited:

chimera

LE
Like I said, officers get a few tours but pale in comparison to the amount soldiers get.
Total bollocks.

You haven't even joined yet, so do not offer advice based on "...what you have heard..." or "...what you have read....". There are plenty of people on here who have actually done more than "a few tours".

Latest Threads