Most ill informed comments about service personnel

BBC have your say website!

Eleanor, Brighton
If we have to put up with it, they can. Why is nobody "disgusted" about how students have to live? We are depressed and demoralised too!
and
Elmo Diddly, Stafford
The photo's are, obviously, of old unused properties
What!!!!!!

Am i seeing things?

Some of the other drivel on there is making me rage!

i know i shouldn't rise to it but comments like these make you wonder does jo public have any idea????

Eleanor's post is like the one posted by a teacher earlier - comparing apples with oranges.

Students can move if they wish; teachers don't pay for their classrooms. All in all, these risible posts point towards falling standards in education, apart from anything else.

I would just like to add here that not all of us students fall under the category of being complete twonks in our attitudes towards soldiers. Even if 'our' accommodation were worse I would expect the majority of students to be smart enough to realise that there is more than a slight difference in what we (students) and soldiers do.

Personally I feel ashamed to class myself amongst these people at times like this. However it's highly likely the 'degree' they are studying for is Sociology, or Fingerpainting.

'kin hate sudents, apart from the one or two good blokes I've known who are in the TA and students, or my sister in law who works 30+ hours a week whilst doing her degree.

Most have never worked a day in their lives and they see the small ammount of work they do (if they actually do it) as a great deal of effort, the ones who do pointless degrees are the biggest tossers, their just putting off getting a job for the next few years so they can lay in bed all day and watch diagnosis murder.

My own sister is the worst example.

Derek Spear said:
Firstly I would like to say servicemen and women should not expect any favour from the public, they joined the forces of their own free will and are well paid for it. If they don't like moving around every couple of years then leave and get another job.
This cnut does not know what he is talking about. Well paid my arrse.

The retardedness or the general population makes me sick!!

Students worse than soldiers is the correct title.

A good percentage of students [not all] have difficulty with personal hygiene and their rooms are generally untidy to the point of being dirty.

When they use toilets around the Uni and get a floater or sinker they leave the supporating thing there for someone else to sort when all they have to do is whack a bucket of water down the pan.

[I didn't have a bucket handy -- next time use your brains and use a wastepaper basket].

Some students are so dirty their turds pop out with fungus already growing on them :)

My own daughter kept herself and her room clean whilst she was doing her degree.

I went to visit it her one weekend to help her with a section on explosives. I spent a good weekend up there showing her what was what and how to initiate a good reaction with a clothes peg [sound familiar, anyone]. She took top marks for that module and took all the bits out of her pocket for the assessed practical whilst others were dragging car batteries and boxes about.

She took an eventual first in Forensic Science, then a Masters and now works using the skills she has acquired. No mickey mouse stuff in my household!!

[John Gaunt put a liberal teacher out of his misery on talksport radio this morning for saying illegal immigrants should get better accomodation than servicemen]. I hate fúcking teachers!

jimnicebutdim said:
Readin the BBC Have Your Say has shown that there are some genuine idiots out there who don't understand what we are all about.

Paste your favourite idiot quotes below
You know the rules.......

Get it linked.

The part where people don't realise that soldiers have to pay to live in their accomodation\quarters and that they assume that food is free too.

Here is one :

"Peter, Liverpool
Maybe if the army had to pay for their accomodation like everyone else, then there would be money to refurbish the accomodation"

Muppet

Not from that site but have heard this many times from various dimbulbs.

"You don't have to pay tax/rent/food, all your clothes are free and you get to travel around the world".

Tossers still living in the 1940s the lot of them.

A selection:

Maybe if the army had to pay for their accomodation like everyone else, then there would be money to refurbish the accomodation.
Peter, Liverpool

I've seen student housing and facilities in even worse condition.
If we have to put up with it, they can. Why is nobody "disgusted" about how students have to live? We are depressed and demoralised too!
Eleanor, Brighton

How about not having services accomodation at all and have these individuals do the same as the rest of us and actually have to purchase their own property in the real world?
Pol, Hants

The class system is alive and well residing in the British Armed forces!

Do you notice that all the comments are from enlisted servicemen and women?

Take a look at Officers' married quarters then you will see why! They are superb properties, immaculately maintained both inside and out.

A deeper problem than a lick of magnolia paint I fear?
[meribelman], Cardiff, United Kingdom

I wonder how this accommodation compares to that of nurses and police (and any other group given similar housing)?
Yes, it is a disgrace that any such accommodation should get into such a state but I don't see that the armed services are a more deserving case.
Steve Brereton

Why do the Army need to be provided with housing in the UK? They are paid enough wages to buy properties, which most of them do to buy "second" homes (the first being provided by the taxpayer) as a further source of income from rent.
Kieran Lynch, London

Married men have no place in any army or defence force. They place themselves at risk of being sent to war and killed. Are they thinking of the family they will leave behind. Their homes are by far, better than some of the civilian ones which are not rent free. !
Tom Leeds

... and it goes on.

[SarahAnneM], London

I think it is absolutely dreadful if soldiers aren't given proper accommodation as it is part of the deal. But from what I could gauge from the Today programme this morning many of the complainants are the wives, many of whom presumably don't have children to care for all day - so is there any reason why they can't go out and get a job that allows them to pay for upgraded accommodation privately? It seems a bit odd in this day and age to expect the man or his employer to provide doesn't it?

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

RABC said:
Here is one :

"Peter, Liverpool
Maybe if the army had to pay for their accomodation like everyone else, then there would be money to refurbish the accomodation"

Muppet
I would suggest that having found such comments that Peter from Liverpool should, by visiting the comments section be rebutted by pointing out that not only do are soldiers charged for the privilege of living in their 'Cases-Wood-Packing' they pay Council Tax on it while serving on operations in Iraqistan!

If the Peters of this world wish to use public forums to present fiction as fact they need to be publicaly rebuked for their pains.

Latest Threads