Most expensive kit youve ever broken

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ghost_us, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For me, it was probably between the M901 ITV turret (Improved Tow Vehicle) or HMMV I submerged on ops. (I technically still blame my driver for being too slow through the fording site)

The ITV turret was taken out by a low lying bridge in S. Korea.

So, what's the most expensive thing you've broken?

2. HMS Coventry!

I win :p

3. UAV whilst with 32 REG RA, I was an BAT at the time and was just posted in, well they told me it must have been something I done and I'd need to buy everyone a beer at the bar. After I bought a round i discovered the fecking things spent more time nose diving than flying.

4. This needs expanding.

5. I heard you got on like a house on fire.

6. It involved being support party team leader in a safeguard (real) fire down an engine room and total overkill on the AFFF we dispensed as it was a bit of an anti-climax when we got down the hatch and the fire was just some machinery that got "a bit hot".

A great foam party was had and we still emerged from the hatch to a heroes welcome!

7. I think we need someone from the Nottingham or the Red Plum to say a few words, if we can find the correct person. I recall the toys they broke were rather expensive.

8. Didn't someone drive a submarine onto a rock as well, bet that cost s few bob. Think it might have been a T class boat

9. A test system for boxs of the old B and tracked versions of Rapier. Took a few months and some waste-of-space bods to get it fixed, somewhere in the tune of 250 grands worth of damage (late 1980s prices)...

Snowy, I'm still sorry! :oops:

10. Small beer. Landie in a ditch!

11. I might have broken a Lynx. Or two.

12. I can’t compete here with the big boys when the largest thing I was held responsible for was the writing off of a Land Rover trailer – vehicle commander and all that.

At the other end of the scale;

Scene: 1980, HMS Invincible, officers under training manning the duty boat.
    Chief: Midshipman GGG! Where the feck is your fecking boathook ? …er…Sir.
    GGG: Chief, if you know where something is, does it count as lost?
    Chief: Of course not. Where’s your fecking boathook?
    GGG: Loch Goil.
    Chief: :pissedoff:

I thought I had a broad vocabulary but it was increased that day.

13. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'll see your Lynx and raise you a Seaking Mk4

14. A platoon commander. Adding up his selection, training, salary, etc. that must have cost a few bob.

In case anyone wants to accuse me of being one of those, "I sparked out me ossifer" bores, it was mentally, not physically.