Most evocative sounds

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by grimbo, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mods if this has been done before the bin it.

While in the garden yesterday my peaceful afternoons gardening was enhanced by the sudden sound and sight of a Hurricane turning on its wing tip right over my head. No idea where he came from or was going , we live miles from the nearest airfield.
    The sound of the Merlin gave me goose bumps and set me thinking-
    What is the most evocative sound for you ? Mill or non Mill , machine or nature , whatever do's it for you.

All time - The sound of the RR Merlin , remember a good few years ago being on a job at Odiham , amongst all the noise came the sound of Merlins, looked up and there overhead was the Mosquito , simply awsome.

Mill- The sound of a woka-woka as it flies towards you at zero feet

Non Mill- The sound of a pack of wolves calling to each other on a cold crisp night seemingly meters from me .

Would like to have heard - The above mentioned Mossie at full throttle in pursuit of a German night fighter on a warm clear summers evening just as everything else settled down for the night, the way sound travels on those warm summers nights would make the sound of the merlin almost pure music .
  2. Travelling with the Mem Sahib down the M1 I thought I heard the evocative sound of a Merlin. I opened all the windows to hear better and about twenty yards in front of me and low as you like was a Spit coming in to land at East Midlands, what a sight and what a sound! (Mem Sahib less than impressed because the wind messed her otherwise immaculate coiffure).

I also love the throaty roar of a Mk2 432 as it goes up an incline and even when started and the driver opens the throttle to blow the beercans out of the exhaust!

I can't help the goosebumps when I hear the last post, back ramrod straight, upper lip slightly a-quiver. God rest you all.

Non-military sound? Fanny farts make me histerical, they just crack me up. :D
  3. Old British motorbikes.
  4. Who can forget the thump-thump, thump-thump or the Arial Square Four?
  5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

The sound of a Chieftan in full flight roaring across the tank Bridge at 25MPH chucking out it own smokescreen!
  6. Concorde taking off at the Farnborough airshow many moons ago. Absolutle heaven and feckin deafening
  7. The last of the MV Grand Prix bikes in the mid-1970s coming down the hill into Clearways on the Brands Hatch GP circuit.

The H1R and H2R Kawasaki triples, same period, same place.

JPS Nortons, the sound of silence usually.

de Havilland Vampire, or any of the other early DH jets with the Goblin / Ghost engine.

The gear whine and tyre noise of a distant Land Rover on a bloody freezing night.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The whine that Landrover Tyres used to make back in the 60 and 70s. It was really quite distinctive and always made me feel like I was home.
  9. The banshee whine of the fans on top of a 432 engine when you're sitting in the driver's seat.

10. air raid siren. The fire brigade use to give flood warnings now a days, Still, it makes you want to head for the shelter.
  11. walking past the guardroom on the way to town and hearing the dreaded "wherethefuckdoyouthinkyourgoingyouscruffyindividualgetyerferkinhaircut"
    followed by a sharp intake of breath ready for the next verbal salvo :D
    Feckin loved my RP Sgt I did.
  12. Driving along the M4 once in the p!ssing rain and enjoying my nicely quiet Jaguar XJS at a safe(ish) 80mph when I was overtaken by a 1930's 8 litre Bentley in BRG with the lid down being driven by a grinning lunatic in goggles. It didn't just drive by ... it thundered past .... awesome sound!
  13. That's a good one.

Usually louder when wet.
  14. Was a good one for PIRA too though!
  15. Now that I like :D